Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Question on VBR battery usage w/ newer MP3 players (Read 2056 times) previous topic - next topic

Question on VBR battery usage w/ newer MP3 players

Hi, I own a Sony Walkman Mp3 player Model NWZ-E3530 and most of the CDs that I rip I do so using LAME 3.99 VBR V2
only thing I'm wondering is about battery drain using VBR. In old posts I've found at various sites people mention that VBR drains the battery usually, but I read somewhere (I think) in the past that said newer mp3 players work with VBR much better now and more battery usage is minimal compared to CBR.

So my question is should I drop VBR to save battery power? or rather is it a noticeable drain on newer mp3 players?

and if so I'm thinking I should rip at 192 CBR LAME, any advice would be helpful

Thanks in advance

Reply #1
For a given quality level, VBR will use less battery (since the bitrate is lower).  As equal average bitrates, theres no difference.

Reply #2
VBR might cause battery drain on some (bad) implementations if the whole file is read twice: once to calculate the total time, then for playback.

Reply #3
I wouldn't worry about it.  I conducted a few tests years ago in 2003 on my 3G iPod and again in 2004 on my 4G iPod.  Neither of them experienced additional battery drain by using Lame for VBR mp3 encoding.  The 3G iPod has processor issues but that was a different story that affected only that model.  Given that this is a more modern Sony player, I wouldn't worry about it.  I would be a little concerned if this was 2002 or older but it isn't.  Even with more "modern" audio formats (such as mpeg-4 LC-AAC), I haven't experienced poor battery performance when using VBR encoding.