Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: check the origin of lossless (Read 10599 times) previous topic - next topic

check the origin of lossless

Hello,

I wonder if  there is a method for testing if a lossless  file (flac or ape) was obtained by ripping an audio cd,  or it was made  from some lossy source.

Thanks.

Reply #2
Hello,
I wonder if  there is a method for testing if a lossless  file (flac or ape) was obtained by ripping an audio cd,  or it was made  from some lossy source.

Historically we've checked stuff like this by expanding the lossless file back into a .wav file, and comparing the initial .wav file with the new re-expanded one. There are file comparison faclilites in EAC and CDEX (freeware) and XP has a FC command line facility in it, if memory serves.

It's not unusual for rips and expands to be off by a few leading or trailing zeroes, but these days most software is better than that and the outcome of the comparison is dead nuts identical.

Reply #3
Historically we've checked stuff like this by expanding the lossless file back into a .wav file, and comparing the initial .wav file with the new re-expanded one.

The OP was asking how to identify whether a given lossless file is created from a pristine source like a wav straight from a CD or whether it's the product of some wanker recompressing his 64 kbps CBR MP3s to FLAC.
Stay sane, exile.

Reply #4
The OP was asking how to identify whether a given lossless file is created from a pristine source like a wav straight from a CD or whether it's the product of some wanker recompressing his 64 kbps CBR MP3s to FLAC.

I suggest to ignore those wanker pirate files and buying CD's or digital downloads instead. These threads should be closed.. I'm seeing more and more these questions how to deal with pirated music.. makes me want to hurl.

Reply #5
If you have a .cue, use cuetools+accuraterip first & then try FooCDtect V2.1 Beta (25-09-08) [the best AUCDtect frontend IMHO] when CD is not in accuraterip database or is original but of doubtfull origins (bootlegs) or you don't have a .cue.

Reply #6
I suggest to ignore those wanker pirate files and buying CD's or digital downloads instead. These threads should be closed.. I'm seeing more and more these questions how to deal with pirated music.. makes me want to hurl.

Sometimes easier to donwload a pirated FLAC than converting your own legal/original CD to FLAC. Especially is you are lazy.
But you're right, pirated sources are usually unreliable.

Reply #7
IMHO ripping a CD is not hard and time consuming at all.. once you have set up your ripper, it's very easy and quick.

I'm right, pirated sources are usually unreliable illegal.  (in most countries, if not all.. morally all)