Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: need windows explorer replacement to browse files and sort by sample r (Read 3157 times) previous topic - next topic

need windows explorer replacement to browse files and sort by sample r

need windows explorer replacement to browse files and sort by sample rate, bit depth, channels

Noticed they took out that feature in windows 7 where in explorer column details you could right click and add to sort by, sample rate (22khz, 44khz etc), bit depth (16 bit, 24bit etc) and channels (stereo or mono). Used to be able to do that in xp. If you right click properties you cant even see that info anymore. Now in explorer i can't sort files by those paramaters to see details of whats going on. Got, oh a couple sound effect files.. try 13,000 and its a tad bit important to see whats going on to find errors. Mix of flac and mp3. Best program i could find was mediainfo but the columns to sort dont have those. If you select one it'll say that info but i gotta get the details tab to sort it by. So pretty much stuck here.

Reply #1
that was fast.. was doing a search for: "sample rate" column.. and found something. Seen these guys talking about a program called RESONIC. Its just like explorer but in the column tabs if you right click there's the Hz, Channel, kbps. In windows 7 explorer there's a bit rate tab but was only showing the kbps on mp3's was blank on the flac files. With this its showing the kbps on everything. Also has a visible waveform player at the top. So right on..

can't believe how windows took those audio paramaters out.. sorta reminded me when i first tried windows 7 and was trying to do a file search for stuff with narrowed filters it was so lame i had to find another program. For that i wound up getting this "agent ransack". With these two points, windows is really taking some steps backwards.

Anyways i'll leave this post up because seen people along the way looking for the same thing and couldnt find anything.

Reply #2
Windows 7 has the Bit Depth column option on 'more...', but you are correct that the Sample Rate is missing (Windows internally knows it as 'Audio Sample Rate').

dBpoweramp adds Audio Sample rate for the details page on all audio tracks, and the property section (which is shown at the bottom when a file is selected). I am going to investigate if the Audio Sample Rate column can be added programatically as a custom column.