Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: MPC vs OGG (Read 30237 times) previous topic - next topic

MPC vs OGG

Reply #175
For MP3 licensing check out the:

www.mp3licensing.com

In general for MP3 licensing following rules apply (for encoder/decoder selling):

Minimum annual fee: $15,000.00
Per-sold encoder: $2.50, decoder: $0.50

Encoder source code: $250,000.00 (+ another $2.5 for sold unit)
MP3Pro encoder source code: $375,000.00 (+ another $5.00 for sold unit)

For AAC check out: www.aac-audio.com

I am sorry but I do not know prices, except patent fee of $10,000.00 and decoder SDK price of $10,000.00

MPC vs OGG

Reply #176
Originally posted by Buschel
the statement:
> Andree has paid patent fees at least to the following: 

is definately not right. i did never pay any license fees (except for the trademark).
Huh, this is completely different than the impression I got from you long time ago. Then you specifically mentioned these companies (IRT,Thomson,Philips) and the patents in question (and I copied your text to the file), and I even remember you saying you have paid them some fixed amount of cash??
You said about Thomson "Thomson holds some other wierd patents i do not use, but i have them within the mp2-royalties."

I'm completely lost here.:confused:
Juha Laaksonheimo

MPC vs OGG

Reply #177
hi juha,

yes, i mentioned these companies and they DO hold the patents. also yes, if i would have signed the contract, there would have been several other patents included within the agreement. and yes, i was talking about a specific amount of money, but (as i've posted) i never paid this amount, because they did not answer my questions about the contract and they never ever contacted me again...
sorry, but maybe i never got it clear enough...

MPC vs OGG

Reply #178
I'ts a crazy amount of money... 150,000 dollars... jeeh...

J
[span style=\'font-family:Arial\'][span style=\'color:red\']Life Sucks Deeply[/span][/span]

MPC vs OGG

Reply #179
It's really ironic that all this talk of high finance patent issues appears on the MPC vs OGG thread...  Ogg - open source, patent FREE. Now doesn't that give you a warm fuzzy feeling?

MPC vs OGG

Reply #180
Originally posted by Buschel
and yes, i was talking about a specific amount of money, but (as i've posted) i never paid this amount, because they did not answer my questions about the contract and they never ever contacted me again...
sorry, but maybe i never got it clear enough...

So that does that mean that technically the MPC encoder is not currently legal for download in the United States?