Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: DivX 6.1 released (Read 18463 times) previous topic - next topic

DivX 6.1 released

Introducing the DivX® 6.1 codec

Today, we're excited to announce that the DivX 6.1 codec is finally here! It sports a ton of new features and enhancements, perhaps the most impressive being a massive improvement in encoding speed. According to our benchmarks, even a modest single CPU will run anywhere from 14 to 80% faster than the 6.0 codec depending on the quality mode selected. At the same time, brand new support for HT, SMP, Dual Core, and Dual Core + HT CPUs allows for gains of up to 300%!

DivX 6.1 released

Reply #1
I tried to test the decoder, but Media Player Classic crashes with an access violation when i try to play something with it. "Up to 3x faster uninstall" for me.

DivX 6.1 released

Reply #2
I tried to test the decoder, but Media Player Classic crashes with an access violation when i try to play something with it. "Up to 3x faster uninstall" for me.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=350123"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

It's been there for a while. If you have the Kazaa Lite Mega Codec Pack [codecguide.com], you won't need divx 6, as it is already in the pack.  However, It is listed (internally) as version 5.2.1 I think, or something like that..  Their versioning is very peculiar.

DivX 6.1 released

Reply #3
,Dec 14 2005, 03:27 PM]It's been there for a while. If you have the Kazaa Lite Mega Codec Pack [codecguide.com], you won't need divx 6, as it is already in the pack.  However, It is listed (internally) as version 5.2.1 I think, or something like that..  Their versioning is very peculiar.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=350129"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I don't use codec packs. However, with a few uninstalls and reinstalls, i finally got the "6.1" decoder to run, but i'm quite disappointed. Except for the multithreading optimizations, they just made it worse. You can't change the decoding options during playback anymore, it just shows an "about" window if i want to configure it. The config window itself is also worse: No more numbers for the brightness/contrast/saturation controls, only three tiny bars. Back to the 5.2.1 decoder for me.

I'll leave it to others to test the encoder.

DivX 6.1 released

Reply #4
You may wonder why i use the 5.2.1 DivX decoder at all. Well, it provides the best quality for my needs. For instance, you can set brightness to -10 and contrast to +10 to get the full luminance range. MPC does the same for DVD movies (MPEG2) if you click "Y: 16-235 -> 0-255" in the MPEG decoder settings. This is not possible with the XviD decoder for example, because it only provides a "Brightness" bar, furthermore without a number scale (as mentioned, the DivX 6.x decoder also doesn't have a number scale). DivX has pretty solid postprocessing and a Film Mode (adds noise) which i like.

Sure, i could use ffdshow, but first i'd have to do extensive research as to which of the hundred available versions is sufficiently stable and recent enough, ten i'd have to spend plenty time on the configuration. I normally appreciate if there's much to configure in a program, but in ffdshow it's just too much, and the UI is bad. Instead of cramming more and more features into that, i would suggest a major UI renovation.

DivX 6.1 released

Reply #5

Just use FFDSHOW for decoding!
Install DivX ONLY if you plan to use it as encoder!

DivX 6.1 released

Reply #6
Sure, i could use ffdshow, but first i'd have to do extensive research as to which of the hundred available versions is sufficiently stable and recent enough[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

[a href="http://ffdshow.sourceforge.net/tikiwiki/tiki-index.php?page=Getting+ffdshow]http://ffdshow.sourceforge.net/tikiwiki/ti...Getting+ffdshow[/url]
ffdshow-20051124.exe - its extreme fast and stable
ffdshow-20051129.exe - has a very small bug if you use ffdshow filters from AviSynth scripts

I recommed ffdshow-20051124.exe

DivX 6.1 released

Reply #7
Just use FFDSHOW for decoding!
Install DivX ONLY if you plan to use it as encoder!
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=350187"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

No, if you would've read my previous posts, you'd see that i prefer the DivX decoder over any other popular decoder, especially over ffdshow. I don't use DivX to encode video.

DivX 6.1 released

Reply #8

I noticed the DivX 6 decoder crashing my MPC a lot when using the DX9 renderless output (since I needed subtitles).  However, when I changed it to the default one, it worked.   

Now I've given up and using ffdshow.

DivX 6.1 released

Reply #9
Divx  decoder is a good decoder only for divx video. As Xvid also has a good decoder only for Xvid.

Ffdshow is a excelent decoder for Xvid and other MPEG-4 generic video but not enough good as Divx6 for  videos encoded by divx6.

DivX 6.1 released

Reply #10
...but not enough good as Divx6 for  videos encoded by divx6.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=350270"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

In what way? 

DivX 6.1 released

Reply #11
...but not enough good as Divx6 for  videos encoded by divx6.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=350270"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

In what way? 
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=350317"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

i apologize - post processing

DivX 6.1 released

Reply #12
There is also fresh build  of Xvid.  http://www.aziendeassociate.it/./cd///XviD.cvs.head.exe
There was improvements on trellis quantization.

Divx6.1 is a good for low bitrate due to smooth quantization h263+.  I prefer Xvid on 700 kbit/s and higher due to sharper image.