Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Differences in writing embedded pictures between mp3tag and foobar2000 (Read 3232 times) previous topic - next topic

Differences in writing embedded pictures between mp3tag and foobar2000

When embedding picture(s) into wavpack with mp3tag there is no way to change picture type. mp3tag always marks all pictures as Front Cover. For example i try to embed 2 pictures - artist and cover. It is possible to use "Set cover type", but after saving tags to file, type is reset to Front Cover. As a result, foobar2000 can see only one picture (Front Cover) in such file. wvunpack.exe -ss reports that both embedded pictures are marked as "Cover Art (Front)"
When attaching pictures with fb2k, picture type is set correctly. wvunpack.exe -ss reports that there is picture marked as "Artist Picture" and picture marked as "Cover Art (Front)". But mp3tag can see only one picture (Front Cover) in such file.
In APEv2 specification i can't find info about how embedded pictures must be marked.
Should behavior of mp3tag be considered as buggy/inavild?
Both variants of files are attached.

Re: Differences in writing embedded pictures between mp3tag and foobar2000

Reply #1
Thanks for bringing this up! Yes, the behavior of having two tags with the same field name or key is definitely wrong, and is prohibited in the specs. And it confused the tag code in libwavpack by showing the wrong size for the second tag with the same name. I was able to extract both of them by extracting the "first" one, then deleting it (which deletes the same one), then extracting the same name again.

Unfortunately there's no real "authority" on Ape Tag field names. In my specs I specify the rather obvious extension of "Cover Art (Back)", but I'm not sure if I made that up or found it somewhere.

I actually had a related issue with APE tag field names. I was using Foobar2000 Mobile on an iPod Touch and could not get multi-artist albums to show up as one album even though I had "AlbumArtist" set to "Various Artists". Turns out Foobar2000 was looking for "Album Artist" (with no space).

Reply #2
Why not paging Florian (Mp3tag's author)?
WavPack 5.7.0 -b384hx6cmv / qaac64 2.80 -V 100

Reply #5
Florian's a cool dude, donated a coupla times happily.
WavPack 5.7.0 -b384hx6cmv / qaac64 2.80 -V 100