Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: FLAC, volume leveling dynamics of classical and rock (Read 1606 times) previous topic - next topic

FLAC, volume leveling dynamics of classical and rock

Hello,

I have a few hundred flac tracks with a mix of music genre, mostly classical and rock.
I am listening to them in my car. I would like to be able to skip from a rock track to a classical track without losing dynamics from a re encode.

I thought replay gain may be the solution but I've been told it won't help much and may introduce clipping?

Can anyone guide me? Thanks.

Re: FLAC, volume leveling dynamics of classical and rock

Reply #1
For ReplayGain to work, your in-car player must support ReplayGain. Any idea if it does?
It is easy: find a LOUD rock track, make two copies of it, RG scan one of them, listen for the difference.

If not ... FLAC for your hard drive at home, transcode to lossy for in-car use.

Reply #2
Yeah the player does its android based, neutron.

Reply #3
OK. and I see from https://neutroncode.com/player that it can handle both ReplayGain and peak normalization.
If they have done it properly, they will prevent that clipping thing. (Which in any case would only happen on "quiet" material.)
On most material, ReplayGain will turn the volume down. Some classical material - like flute - will often go the other way around.

Here is the first thing to learn:
ReplayGain is a tag, kinda like track title is a tag. It does not change the audio itself, it only says to the player "reduce this one by 7 dB". But beware: careful about applications which say things like "Apply" etc., that might signify to change the audio.

That means, you can try it and it does not change more than changing the track title; if you are dissatisfied, you can wipe the tag (or change it manually ... not on hundreds of tracks I suppose).

Do you have a Windows pc? Foobar2000 is your friend. (There is also an Android app available, but now you have already paid for a player that does pretty much the same.) You can select to make an oversample-based scan (theoretically a potential point, does no other harm than the extra time taken), see https://wiki.hydrogenaud.io/index.php?title=Foobar2000:Preferences:ReplayGain_Scanner for settings.

For more info ... search! Or I will spend half an hour copying/pasting.