Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Split large FLAC file to single flac files, what level should I use? (Read 4452 times) previous topic - next topic

Split large FLAC file to single flac files, what level should I use?

Hi everybody,

I have converted my entire CD collection to FLAC files. I choosed the option to have one single FLAC file for each CD with a CUE file.

Now I want to cut some tracks as FLAC file bit without loosing quality. So the single flac file shoud by equal to the track in the large flac file.

I have read that I can convert the track to FLAC again and the quality remains the same. Can someone confirm this?

If this is, what compression level should I use in the encoder settings in Foobar2k?

Re: Split large FLAC file to single flac files, what level should I use?

Reply #2
I doesn't matter what level of flac compression you use there is no difference in quality. I always use level 8. It takes only slightly longer to write the file but it gives you the smallest file size.

Reply #3
I have quite a similar problem to JW82 except that I want to solve it without using the GUI, so I need to use FLAC.EXE with some parameters as commandline. Unfortunately, I can't find it. Does anyone know how to do it or some good link?

Reply #4
I have mentioned that you can use CUETools with command-line. Set up the profile using the GUI once, and then ...

(Lazy as I am, I would just drag and drop into CUETools anyway.)

Reply #5
I have quite a similar problem to JW82 except that I want to solve it without using the GUI, so I need to use FLAC.EXE with some parameters as commandline. Unfortunately, I can't find it. Does anyone know how to do it or some good link?
"flac" has "--skip" and "--until" command line options:
--skip={#|mm:ss.ss}
  Skip over the first number of samples of the input. This works for both encoding
  and decoding, but not testing. The alternative form mm:ss.ss can be used to
  specify minutes, seconds, and fractions of a second.

--until={#|[+|-]mm:ss.ss}
  Stop at the given sample number for each input file. This works for both
  encoding and decoding, but not testing. The given sample number is not included
  in the decoded output. The alternative form mm:ss.ss can be used to specify
  minutes, seconds, and fractions of a second. If a `+' (plus) sign is at the
  beginning, the --until point is relative to the --skip point. If a `-' (minus)
  sign is at the beginning, the --until point is relative to end of the audio.
But I don't think it can read boundaries automatically from the CUE file. For that you'd need something like "shntool" (not sure if it is available on Windows): https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/CUE_Splitting

Reply #6
I have mentioned that you can use CUETools with command-line. Set up the profile using the GUI once, and then ...
CUETool is not working with 24bit files, error Red something...

Reply #7
Redbook, which is 44100/16/stereo. You know, because Cue sheets were invented for CDs, which have a fixed format.

Reply #9
My files are mostlu flac 24/44/6ch. I I checked the internet and really couldn't find any commandline program to split flac files from cue.

Reply #10
If you absolutely need this to be done in command line as a part of bat file, refalac can split multichannel 24-bit FLAC by cue, saving result in ALAC. refalac and libFLAC are needed for this. Then you can use ffmpeg again to convert ALAC to FLAC

foobar2000's Converter can be used from command line. But not as part of bat file. Because you need to add files to playlist first by one command and then start converting by another command. But problem is that foobar2000 doesn't report its state (because it is not command-line tool really). So , after adding files to playlist from command line, next command in bat file cannot be executed, as it keeps waiting for foobar2000 to report its state.

Reply #11
Thanks, refalac maybe is good but i would like to make it direct, I'm pretty sure that it can be done by ffmpeg but duuno how.

Reply #12
Hello everyone
I have 24 bit flac files
I would like to extract the tracks from these flac files.
I work under windows 7
help me solve this problem
thank you for your understanding