Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Short silent block in HTOA with ASUS drive (Read 2004 times) previous topic - next topic

Short silent block in HTOA with ASUS drive

I have a ASUS SDRW-08D2S-U, which I'm guessing is the same as 08D2S-U from from daefeatures.co.uk:

(mine is tested as +6 by the way, the data in AccurateRips database has it as PURGED).

It says it can read HTOA, but in every HTOA I rip, I get a short silent passage near the end, almost exactly 2 seconds before the track ends (but both are at different times). What can this be a sign of? Can it be avoided?

Re: Short silent block in HTOA with ASUS drive

Reply #1
ASUS doesn't manufacture drives, they re-badge drives from other manufacturers so it is possible to have two units with the same model number but different drives inside. If your unit has a read offset correction of +6 then it is does not contain the same drive as the entry in the daefeatures.co.uk database.
Model numbers with more than one read offset correction value are indeed purged from the drive offset database.
How are you so sure the 2 seconds isn't part of the CD? I just took a quick look at The Dead Weather - Sea of Cowards and it has about a 2 second gap between the HTOA and 1st track. I certainly don't assume my drive is inserting silent samples that don't exist on the media.
korth

Reply #2
No, it's not that it's a silence after, at the 2 second mark BEFORE the end, there's a silence gap. Can you see it in the picture? You can see it in both tracks. And that silent part for sure isn't in the audio when I listen to it on my CD player.

Reply #4
I have a drive that actually nulls part of the lead-in and screws up HTOA discs.  It's an ATAPI DVD A DH16ABSH YAA1.  None of the other drives I have does that.  The only solution for this problem is to use a different drive unfortunately.

Reply #5
Thank you for letting me know I'm not alone!

Reply #7
Thank you!

Reply #8
It says it can read HTOA
That's not your drive. I just tested reading HTOA on a drive I know cannot properly read before track 1 and there were read errors about 2 seconds from the end of the HTOA track. Part of the audio was missing.
korth