Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: FLAC images split into individual files (Read 1468 times) previous topic - next topic

FLAC images split into individual files

Hello,
I have a question about CUETools. I would like to split a Flac image into individual Flac files using CUE Sheet. The question now arises as to which settings are optimal and whether the files are re-encoded and thus deteriorate. When comparing the original file with the new files created with CUETools, I noticed a sound difference and the kbps have changed.

Re: FLAC images split into individual files

Reply #2
I only know with EAC and Flac.exe. I don't know the quality level.

Reply #3
There's no such thing as FLAC quality level: FLAC is lossless, all encodings have the same (100%) quality.

Reply #4
Higher compression will produce a smaller file which will lower the average kbps of the compressed file. Lower compression will produce a larger file which will raise the average kbps of the compressed file. Both will decompress to the original audio without loss.
I only know with EAC and Flac.exe.
If the wizard was used to setup FLAC in EAC, the compression level was probably set to the -6 setting.
For similar compression level in CUETools, try libFLAC with the slider set to 6.
Note: The average kbps of the image file may be different than the average kbps of each file. The complexity of the audio also affects the level of compression.
korth

Reply #5
Thanks for your great help. I've tried a few levels now. At level 4 I get almost the same bit rate.

Which level is normally recommended?

Reply #6
-5 is the default. There is trade-off, a higher setting takes a little longer to compress (all decompress the same), a lower setting creates a bigger file. Many users use -8.
korth