Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Adding cover art to iTunes (Read 3934 times) previous topic - next topic

Adding cover art to iTunes

Hi,
I've finally decided to buy an iPod classic 160 GB and now have to switch from Winamp to iTunes with my ~1500 Albums.
The Problem: I have my MP3s organised as one folder for each Album. Each Folder contains the MP3 files plus the cover art of that specific CD as coverxyz.jpg (xyz being artist or album or whatever came to my mind). Adding a few test folders to iTunes confirmed my suspicion that iTunes is NOT going to add these covers to its database, and for some reason also can't find the covers of any of my files (even of mainstream albums) in its own store database. But as I have many rare albums, getting the cover art from the iTunes store wouldn't be a workable solution anyway, I guess.

So, how on earth am I getting all my ~1500 covers into iTunes? There's no way I'm going to do this manually for each album, let alone each file, I simply don't have the time.

Is there a way to get iTunes to recognise my coverxyz.jpg files as the cover art of the album in this folder? Maybe by renaming them all to folder.jpg?

As an alternative, what if i added the covers to each MP3 file in the existing ID3v2.3 tags before adding the files to the iTunes library? Would iTunes and iPod accept this cover art and display it correctly? Any suggestions for a program that could automatically add jpegs in a folder to the MP3 files that are in the same folder?

Thank you for any suggestions!
Proverb for Paranoids: "If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about answers."
-T. Pynchon (Gravity's Rainbow)

Adding cover art to iTunes

Reply #1
Hi,
I've finally decided to buy an iPod classic 160 GB and now have to switch from Winamp to iTunes with my ~1500 Albums.
The Problem: I have my MP3s organised as one folder for each Album. Each Folder contains the MP3 files plus the cover art of that specific CD as coverxyz.jpg (xyz being artist or album or whatever came to my mind). Adding a few test folders to iTunes confirmed my suspicion that iTunes is NOT going to add these covers to its database, and for some reason also can't find the covers of any of my files (even of mainstream albums) in its own store database. But as I have many rare albums, getting the cover art from the iTunes store wouldn't be a workable solution anyway, I guess.

So, how on earth am I getting all my ~1500 covers into iTunes? There's no way I'm going to do this manually for each album, let alone each file, I simply don't have the time.

Is there a way to get iTunes to recognise my coverxyz.jpg files as the cover art of the album in this folder? Maybe by renaming them all to folder.jpg?

As an alternative, what if i added the covers to each MP3 file in the existing ID3v2.3 tags before adding the files to the iTunes library? Would iTunes and iPod accept this cover art and display it correctly? Any suggestions for a program that could automatically add jpegs in a folder to the MP3 files that are in the same folder?

Thank you for any suggestions!

iTunes only supports embeded artwork from the id3 tags. You can use foobar and the foodop plugin to transfer you music onto your ipod and add artwork from your file layout after you have configured it. Also you could use Mp3tag and write a script to add artwork on your mp3s for your file structure.
"I never thought I'd see this much candy in one mission!"