Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Via Licensing Announces AVC Patent Licensing Terms (Read 4529 times) previous topic - next topic

Via Licensing Announces AVC Patent Licensing Terms

Reply #1
hm is vialicensing working together with mpeg-la on this?

if no, i wonder how this works, will they offer exactly the same licensing fees?
I know, that I know nothing (Socrates)

Reply #2
hm is vialicensing working together with mpeg-la on this?

if no, i wonder how this works, will they offer exactly the same licensing fees?

Competition is good

When one company wants to license AVC, it can turn to MPEGla or to Via, depending on who offers the best terms and prices.

Reply #3

Competition is good

When one company wants to license AVC, it can turn to MPEGla or to Via, depending on who offers the best terms and prices.

yeah thats what i thought first too

but than i thought that both have to be authorized by the patent holders, and for these competition is bad
so why should i, as patent holder, allow competition in the licensing market? why should i allow that multiple companies offer different licenses?

Reply #4

but than i thought that both have to be authorized by the patent holders, and for these competition is bad
so why should i, as patent holder, allow competition in the licensing market? why should i allow that multiple companies offer different licenses?

In last analysis, competition is good for patent holders too. Even though it reduces the prices of each sold license, it leads to broader adoption of their technology. So, they gain in volume, not in unique sales.

Reply #5
On a related note, Apple just previewed an AVC codec at NAB, according to MacCentral. Wonder what it's CPU requirements will be - I guess it won't run on a G3

Reply #6
Title of the press release: "Press Release: TITLE GOES HERE"

Good to know 

Reply #7

In last analysis, competition is good for patent holders too. Even though it reduces the prices of each sold license, it leads to broader adoption of their technology. So, they gain in volume, not in unique sales.

hm ok possible and of course a fact is that the patent holders allowed two companies offering licenses
still i would have thought that avc itself is strong enough to become a widely adopted format on its own, even without that low licenses

well anyways for us consumers its surely a good thing

Reply #8
hm stux from 3ivx meant that vialicensing and mpegla cover different patents with their licenses
so it can also happen that you have to license both when wanting to create an avc implementation