Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Chapter Marks + Seekpoints in FLAC (Read 5083 times) previous topic - next topic

Chapter Marks + Seekpoints in FLAC

I have a large number of my own DJ mixes, each of which is stored as a single-file FLAC. I would like to label the individual tracks contained in each mix so that during playback, artist, title, and track no. information is shown.

For me, it isn't a good option to split up those single-file mixes into multiple files, as it's convenient to have single files for transcoding and for upload to SoundCloud and friends.

Based on what I found on the forum and in the Wiki, so far I have employed the following procedure. I load the FLAC into Audacity, create labels, export the labels to a text file, create a cuesheet from the text file using label2cue.jar, add the cuesheet to the FLAC by running METAFLAC on it with the --set-tag-from-file and --import-cuesheet-from flags, and finally open the FLAC in F2K and add additional metadata.

There are two shortcomings of the approach I've taken thus far. First, the procedure is convoluted. Second, with the exception of F2K, none of the audio players I use displays the metadata which was so painful to include in the FLAC in the first place.

Is there a simpler alternative to working with cue sheets? My limited understanding is that cuesheets are designed to describe the layout of optical media. I don't really need that, I don't want to burn the DJ mixes. I just want chapter marks and seek points in my FLACs (not sure chapter marks and seek points is the correct terminology).

Also, is it to be expected that audio players other than F2K don't display the title, artist, and track no. information I embed in my single-file FLACs? (Or am I doing it wrong?)

Chapter Marks + Seekpoints in FLAC

Reply #1
Is there a simpler alternative to working with cue sheets? My limited understanding is that cuesheets are designed to describe the layout of optical media. I don't really need that, I don't want to burn the DJ mixes. I just want chapter marks and seek points in my FLACs (not sure chapter marks and seek points is the correct terminology).

If you're willing to write the chapter files by hand, you can use the Matroska container, whose chapter support should have a higher adoption than that of FLAC. I'd recommend to use Mosu's excellent mkvtoolnix, here is a guide  how to work with chapters. The resulting chapters should be readable in at least Media Player Classic Home Cinema, VLC, and some other multimedia players. And of course foobar2000.

Also, is it to be expected that audio players other than F2K don't display the title, artist, and track no. information I embed in my single-file FLACs? (Or am I doing it wrong?)

Yes. This is one of the reasons why I prefer foobar2000, its support for technical audio features is astonishing. To be frank, I don't know whether any other player can read FLACs with embedded chapters, maybe rockbox can...
It's only audiophile if it's inconvenient.