Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: laptop fan noise (Read 3585 times) previous topic - next topic

laptop fan noise

Hi, My Dell Latitude 820 has an annoying fan noise that has a pronounced single pitch.  This seems to be an auxilliary fan, as it only comes on after the laptop has been on for awhile.  I tried out a cooling pad that is even worse than the laptop.  Any suggestions?

laptop fan noise

Reply #1
I've no experience with Dells in particular, but generally a thermostatic cooling fan will come on less (if at all) if you use aggressive power save settings.

As to how much noise it makes mostly what you can do is make sure it's clean.

laptop fan noise

Reply #2
Ah, yes, I disassembled the entire laptop and found a lot of junk accumulated between the fan and the vents in the back of the laptop.  The fan still comes on sometimes, but it produces a white or pink sounding noise, instead of various pitches.  Thanks for the advice.

laptop fan noise

Reply #3
Had the same problem.. Opened my laptop.. Cleaned the fan and its fine now.. Thanks