Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Cracked Cd (Read 3128 times) previous topic - next topic

Cracked Cd

I have a cd that has a small crack in it that I would like to recover.

The crack is small, but it traverses the area from the center of the disc just into the data area. The label side has not been damaged as far as I can tell.

When the disc is placed in either of my drives, they spin-up over and over, but never recognize that there is a cd in the drive.

If I could just get the machine to recognize the cd I would have a crack at re-burning it with clone cd or something.

Any suggestions?

Cracked Cd

Reply #1
I've got the exact same problem - except with the crack on the outer edge of the disc.  I've tried both CDex & EAC, neither of seem willing to try reading the cracked area, and my CDRW drive doesn't sound happy to let them!

I'm wondering, I bought the cd, of which the vast amount went to compensating the artist for their work and giving me the right to listen to it.  Do I have to pay for that again?  Is there any way (i can't find a contact address for FFRR or Orbital) to get a replacement by just paying for a new disc & the P&P? :o)  Would be sweet!

Other than letting EAC & CDex have a go at it (which is hard if they don't believe you there's a cd in the drive), I dunno what you can do :o(
< w o g o n e . c o m / l o l >

Cracked Cd

Reply #2
Buy a scratch repair kit.

Cracked Cd

Reply #3
Buy a scratch repair kit.

The crack seems to be through the bit of markings on the inner cd ring.

I think its the bit of info that identifies the cd to the drive.

Anyway, I have scratch repair stuff, but that isn't it. I think this would require software to fix, maybe even firmware.

I hope its not a firmware thing. May just have to chuck the cd.