Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: DSD streamed in DoP format (Read 4074 times) previous topic - next topic

DSD streamed in DoP format

I am relatively new to Foobar2000.  I am been using it for a month playing 24/96 files to my Benchmark DAC1.  I recently upgraded to the Benchmark DAC3 which supports DSD if streamed in DoP format.  I have been struggling to determine how to configure Foobar2000 to do that.  Any help would be appreciated.

Re: DSD streamed in DoP format

Reply #2
Thanks, I was able to unpack and install the sacd input decoder but the readme.txt file is a little confusing.  It appears that file refers to having an actual SACD disk.  I have a .dsf file that I want to play and my DAC3 requires the DoP streaming format.

In the Foobar preferences under SACD there are 3 selections in the output mode dropdown box:  PCM, DSD, DSD+PCM and there is a separate checkbox for "DoP for Converter".  The only way I can get sound from the .dsf file is if I have the output mode set to PCM but during the music my DAC3 does not indicate the playback is DSD.  I also have the "DoP for Converter" box checked.  When I select DSD or DSD+PCM the file appears to be playing in Foobar but no sound is produced by the DAC3.

I just purchased this DAC3 recently so I have never tried this before.

Reply #3
 "DoP for Converter" is just for performing file format conversions from source DSF files and so isn't relevant in what you are trying to achieve.  Be sure the source DSF's format is supported by your DAC.  The selection "DSD+PCM" is what you want if the DAC needs DoP.  Your output device choice in Foobar needs to be checked as well.  There is a good read here: https://diyaudioheaven.wordpress.com/digital/pc-software/foobar-2000-for-dummies-part-3-new-experimental-sacd-plugin-v-0-9-x/

Reply #4
Thanks for the post and the solutions in this thread.  In my present scenario, I've a MOBO with an ESS Sabre 9018 DAC. I'm outputing from a TOSLink connection on the MOBO to an AVR TOSLink input.  I realize this isn't multi-channel and have a 2 Speaker setup in this scenario which works well. I've the Stereo Downmix component enabled for 5.1 and 4.0 files.
The intent is to use the hardware vs. the software for DSD encoded files.  The DSD files play fine in PCM mode within Foobar, the DoP is unchecked and only the PCM option is being used [not PCM + DSD as an example].  The section for DSD processor is also unchecked.  My question is since this DAC supports DSD natively, I'm uncertain which of the following scenarios is best from the diyaudioheaven link above.   Perhaps what I've selected is optimum? [it was guess work and trial/error].  In using external audio devices such as a MIDIMan I've used ASIO but not sure what the best scenario is in this case. Any help would be most appreciated including the proper FIR. This 9018 DAC can use programmable FIRs. Thanks much..

Reply #5
I'm outputing from a TOSLink connection on the MOBO to an AVR TOSLink input.  I realize this isn't multi-channel and have a 2 Speaker setup in this scenario which works well. I've the Stereo Downmix component enabled for 5.1 and 4.0 files.

You will not get any DSD output over TOSLink.

The intent is to use the hardware vs. the software for DSD encoded files.  The DSD files play fine in PCM mode within Foobar, the DoP is unchecked and only the PCM option is being used [not PCM + DSD as an example]. 

This means the plugin converts to PCM. If you want DSD output...it must be set to DSD or PCM + DSD. PCM+DSD automatically sends DSD to things that support it while creating a PCM version for visuals.

The section for DSD processor is also unchecked.  My question is since this DAC supports DSD natively, I'm uncertain which of the following scenarios is best from the diyaudioheaven link above.   Perhaps what I've selected is optimum? [it was guess work and trial/error].  In using external audio devices such as a MIDIMan I've used ASIO but not sure what the best scenario is in this case. Any help would be most appreciated including the proper FIR. This 9018 DAC can use programmable FIRs. Thanks much..

Based on what you describe you're not getting DSD output at all. You won't get it over a TOSLink connection at all...period. The other question is even if your motherboard has an 9018, does it have the rest of the stuff to support DSD? Without knowing what motherboard it is I can't look....and it's entirely possible they did not implement it in a way that DSD works at all. The 9018 doesn't interface with a PC directly....it has to be fed I2S streams from an additional controller. The additional controller is what handles a lot of the setup and communication.

The older setup of the sacdcomponent was DoP by default; it created special "DSD:" devices in output that when pared with WASPI or ASIO, would push a DoP stream. You *HAVE* to use WASAPI Exclusive or ASIO for DoP to work; you also have to make sure *every software volume* is turned up to max. There can be zero modification of the audio stream between the PC and the DAC for DoP to work. But the new version apparently "auto-configs" for this and doesn't show the DSD options?

I use native DSD on my 9038 based DAC. For Native DSD support...the best method is to grab the new ASIO+DSD plugin and set that up.
SMSL SU-8 -> Little Bear P5 -> Sansui SE-8 - Denon PMA-770 -> Ohm Model L | High-Res Lover | DSD Enthusiast | Mad SACD-Scientist