Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Mass-calculate CDDB ids and check for artist match  (Read 1173 times) previous topic - next topic

Mass-calculate CDDB ids and check for artist match

- preferably "fuzzy".

What I "want": an application that for each folder
* tries to look up whether the files match a CDDB (yeah, gnudb nowadays) entry of at least the same artist (album too, but here we often run into spelling differences)
and if there is such a match:
* writes the CDDB ID to tag or some other reporting, but leaves other tags untouched. (The latter I can work my way around though.)

E.g., is there a way to get Picard to this, or to calculate CDDB ID from Musicbrainz ID?

Why, you may ask? I largely identify my CD rips by their 8-character CDDB disc ID (with some secondary characteristic to distinguish collisions yes, but those are manageable). I would later do some workarounds for lossless download purchases - and still those are largely CD masters (sometimes even CD rips with EAC/dBpoweramp tags in the files - that goes for some lossy purchases too).

And to the extent lossies are the same, I'd like that tag.

Also I have a lot of bootleg downloads, some of which come with "lineage" information, like "tape recorder RRR with microphone MMM --> cassette player PPP to soundcard SSS --> audacity normalization --> wave", some of which is made-up by someone who rips a bootleg CD, uploads it and pretends it to be their own recording. (Then on the other hand, there are enough bootleg CDRs burned from .shn downloads back in the day.)