Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: The fastest way to re-encode MP3s? (Read 4486 times) previous topic - next topic

The fastest way to re-encode MP3s?

Hello, I'm looking for a program which will allow me to re-encode MP3s (320kbps CBR) as fast and efficient as possible. I'm using Freemake Audio Converter but its converting speed is quite slow.

Reply #1
How slow is slow?  foobar2000 using LAME just converted ten CBR 320 files to VBR V2 in about 50 seconds on my 5-year old AMD dual-core laptop.

Reply #2
How slow is slow?  foobar2000 using LAME just converted ten CBR 320 files to VBR V2 in about 50 seconds on my 5-year old AMD dual-core laptop.

Oh, I didn't know you can use foobar2000 for converting  It took ~30 seconds for Freemake to re-encode a single MP3 but foobar did it in 8 seconds. Still seems slower than your laptop (I have Core i5-3350P).

Reply #3
You can use foobar and GOGO encoder. This will give compact size, blazing speed with very respectable quality.

For extreme fast ABR encoding -
-b 160 -q 7 -a

For extreme fast CBR encoding -
-b 160 -q 7

For very fast [standard] ABR encoding -

-b 160 -a

Using LAME:

For fast CBR encoding -
-b160 -f --noreplaygain

For fast ABR encoding -

--abr 160 -f --noreplaygain

For fast VBR mode:

-V5 -f --noreplaygain

Reply #4
Now it's faster, thank you  Used the LAME method.

Reply #5
I hope by "re-encode" you mean convert to MP3 from the original lossless source (WAV, FLAC, whatever).

If you are hoping to get better quality by converting e.g. 128 kbps to 320 kbps, that's not going to work. Apologies if you already know this.

Reply #6
I hope by "re-encode" you mean convert to MP3 from the original lossless source (WAV, FLAC, whatever).

If you are hoping to get better quality by converting e.g. 128 kbps to 320 kbps, that's not going to work. Apologies if you already know this.

He is reencoding from cbr 320 mp3, so presumably he is interested in saving space, perhaps for portable use.