Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: BonkEnc v1.0 Beta 3 released! (Read 10615 times) previous topic - next topic

BonkEnc v1.0 Beta 3 released!

Version 1.0 Beta 3 of BonkEnc has been released today! The new release includes many important bug fixes and some interesting new features:

- MP4/M4A format support
   - updated encoders: LAME, Ogg Vorbis, FAAC
   - new translations: Ukrainian, Chinese (traditional), Spanish (Latin American)
   - improved Unicode support
   - improved online update

Besides that, the following things have changed in the new release:

- added support for reading CD contents automatically on insert
   - added auto-eject feature
   - support for non-'on-the-fly' encoding
   - FLAC and AAC decoder support
   - support for ID3V2 tags in AAC files
   - speed optimizations for most encoders
   - added support for spaces in filenames passed to BEcmd
   - tooltips show more information about joblist entries
   - uninstaller support
   - HTTP proxy support
   - lots of bugfixes

Get it at BonkEnc.org!

Greetings,
Enzo

Reply #1
Well, since no-one else seems to be replying... congratulations! It looks like it could be a nice application, perhaps inheriting the "Windows open source ripper/encoder" crown now that CDex development appears to have ceased . (If only the cdparanoia libs supported C2 error correction... sigh.)

I downloaded it and tried it; the first time I started it up I managed to get some major graphical corruption with widgets drawing outside the main window after using the menus and config dialogs (under Win98SE, all recent patches, nVidia drivers). The second time it appears to work OK. Still, the non-native menus are a little weird -- the most disconcerting bit is that if you select one menu (e.g. 'Options'), then mouseover another (e.g. 'Encode') the other menu doesn't pop down as most Windows apps do.

A quick query: when you say "speed optimisations for most encoders" do you mean any source/algorithm adjustments, or just compiler option tweaks? In other words, will the versions of LAME and Vorbis you ship give identical or as near as possible results to the official/RareWares builds?

And if you're looking for ideas, some "workflow" type capability would be an interesting distinguishing feature for BonkEnc. That is, much like the kwanbis' MAREO application, but built into the GUI. Say, the ability to run multiple encoders (FLAC + MP3) over a given extracted track, and the ability to run a postprocessor (wavgain/mp3gain/etc) over a bunch of extracted files (or entire joblist?) once they're all either (a) extracted or (b) compressed.

Reply #2
Well, since no-one else seems to be replying... congratulations! It looks like it could be a nice application, perhaps inheriting the "Windows open source ripper/encoder" crown now that CDex development appears to have ceased . (If only the cdparanoia libs supported C2 error correction... sigh.)

Yes, CDex seems to be dead, but there's no official statement from Albert yet. I already extended the CDRip library for use with BonkEnc (improved ASPI and NT SCSI detection). Maybe I can add C2 support one day. But probably not in the near future.

I downloaded it and tried it; the first time I started it up I managed to get some major graphical corruption with widgets drawing outside the main window after using the menus and config dialogs (under Win98SE, all recent patches, nVidia drivers). The second time it appears to work OK. Still, the non-native menus are a little weird -- the most disconcerting bit is that if you select one menu (e.g. 'Options'), then mouseover another (e.g. 'Encode') the other menu doesn't pop down as most Windows apps do.

There have been some widget drawing problems on Win9x in the past. Unfortunately I cannot test on Win9x systems until I have a new HD (did some VMWare tests, but that's not 'the real thing'). I'll see what I can do for the next release.

A quick query: when you say "speed optimisations for most encoders" do you mean any source/algorithm adjustments, or just compiler option tweaks? In other words, will the versions of LAME and Vorbis you ship give identical or as near as possible results to the official/RareWares builds?

There have not been any modifications to the encoder sources. I just tweaked the compiler options, e.g. FAAC got almost twice as fast with -funroll-loops and -ffast-math and produces exactly the same results as before. I also changed the memory management in BonkEnc itself which gave me another 5-10% for most encoders. Plus I fixed a bug in the disk I/O library that caused BonkEnc to rip really slow on some machines (5 min for a 3 min song).

And if you're looking for ideas, some "workflow" type capability would be an interesting distinguishing feature for BonkEnc. That is, much like the kwanbis' MAREO application, but built into the GUI. Say, the ability to run multiple encoders (FLAC + MP3) over a given extracted track, and the ability to run a postprocessor (wavgain/mp3gain/etc) over a bunch of extracted files (or entire joblist?) once they're all either (a) extracted or (b) compressed.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=264158"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I've read about MAREO and think it's a nice idea. Integrating such functionality into BonkEnc should not be too complicated. I'll probably support it in future versions.
I also plan to support DSP filters in future BonkEnc releases, but probably not in v1.0.

Greetings,
Enzo

Reply #3
where is the plug-in for foobar2000 decoding Bonk formats ?
and where is the cmdline option list for BEcmd.exe ?

someone, plz teach me. 
<name>madoka</name>

Reply #4
where is the plug-in for foobar2000 decoding Bonk formats ?

There's no foobar plugin yet, but there's one for Winamp.

and where is the cmdline option list for BEcmd.exe ?

someone, plz teach me. 
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=264181"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

You cannot configure the encoders with BEcmd at the moment. BEcmd will read the settings from config.xml.

Run BEcmd without any options to see a list of supported command line options.

Reply #5
thx enzo, it consented. 

is the plug-in for foobar2000 scheduled to be developed ?
<name>madoka</name>

Reply #6
is the plug-in for foobar2000 scheduled to be developed ?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=264258"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I just downloaded the SDK, it should not be too hard to write a Bonk plugin. Maybe I can do it next weekend.

Reply #7
There have not been any modifications to the encoder sources. I just tweaked the compiler options, e.g. FAAC got almost twice as fast with -funroll-loops and -ffast-math and produces exactly the same results as before.
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Wow, and I was wondering why the hell faac is so slow when built with gcc for win32.
Adding -funroll-loops alone made it run ~2x faster (they can quote me on  [a href="http://funroll-loops.org/]http://funroll-loops.org/[/url] now ^^)

Reply #8
I just downloaded the SDK, it should not be too hard to write a Bonk plugin. Maybe I can do it next weekend.

wow! thx a lot, enzo. 

i'm looking forward to... 
<name>madoka</name>