Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: WavPack 4.1 released (Read 62746 times) previous topic - next topic

WavPack 4.1 released

Reply #50
Hi Bryant,

i have sufficient memory.

Can ADD the option of "Buffer full files from disk" in in_wv.dll,

like in_vorbis.dll?
It's My Life,
It's Now Or Never,
I Ain't Gonna Live Forever,
I Just Want To Live While I'm Alive.

WavPack 4.1 released

Reply #51
@rjamorim: Can this command line tool be used with EAC to add album replay gain properly while ripping?[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=251726"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Well, David didn't even start working on it yet, but I guess that option will be available as a switch in wavpack.exe

Can ADD the option of "Buffer full files from disk" in in_wv.dll

Just out of curiosity, why do you want that feature? To buffer files from removable media?

WavPack 4.1 released

Reply #52
@rjamorim: Can this command line tool be used with EAC to add album replay gain properly while ripping?[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=251726"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Well, David didn't even start working on it yet, but I guess that option will be available as a switch in wavpack.exe

Can ADD the option of "Buffer full files from disk" in in_wv.dll

Just out of curiosity, why do you want that feature? To buffer files from removable media?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=260719"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

@rjamorim:

Just to avoid reading the hard disk continually.
It's My Life,
It's Now Or Never,
I Ain't Gonna Live Forever,
I Just Want To Live While I'm Alive.

WavPack 4.1 released

Reply #53
Any word on the RG tool?

WavPack 4.1 released

Reply #54
Any word on the RG tool?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=260877"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

And on the XMMS plugin?

WavPack 4.1 released

Reply #55
Wavpack seems great and it's getting more featurefull all the time. I used to use Monkey's Audio as it seemed to have the (for me) best compromise between compression rates, en/de-coding speeds and other features (LA and OptimFROG gives better compression, Shorten and FLAC faster en/de-coding, but none of them completely satisfies). Wavpack 4 seems to be very much on par in this respect (a little better on some points, a little worse on some), but with the great advantages over Monkey's of the flexible, uncomplicated and non-restrictive BSD license and a codebase written with easy portability to other platforms and devices in mind.

With it's current home-brewn, not-compatible-with-anything license and Matt Ashland not responding to any mails or forum postings from developers and others it seems developers are getting fed up and Monkey's Audio are doomed to die a slow death (or at least not getting much more support)....

Conclusion: Wavpack seems to be the way to go.
So I'm anxious to know (nag, nag, nag  ):

- How is Wavpack 4.2 final coming along?
- Replaygain?
- Linux/BSD support (XMMS and other)?
- Roadmap?

Thanks for good work! 
"ONLY THOSE WHO ATTEMPT THE IMPOSSIBLE WILL ACHIEVE THE ABSURD"
        - Oceania Association of Autonomous Astronauts

WavPack 4.1 released

Reply #56
ReplayGain is already supported in fb2k by just saving replaygain values in appropriate APEv2 tag fields.
"To understand me, you'll have to swallow a world." Or maybe your words.

WavPack 4.1 released

Reply #57
Kuniklo made a xmms wavpack plugin. It's not yet finished, but usable.

WavPack 4.1 released

Reply #58
You can also now play wv files in my little player for OS X, Xist:

http://www.caddr.com/xist .

There have been some performance issues reported with the xmms plugin on some systems that I haven't had a chance to investigate yet.

WavPack 4.1 released

Reply #59
Thanks for answers, everybody! 

ReplayGain is already supported in fb2k by just saving replaygain values in appropriate APEv2 tag fields.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=269754"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yes, but so does Monkey's in fb2k. Both got the option of CUESHEEET field in ape2 tag being parsed by the player in fb2k too, thanks to Case. But I think I saw a promise of implementing native replaygain in Wavpack, like FLAC has.... useful maybe on other players on other platforms too... (I'm a doublebooter Windows/Linux you see). Monkey's don't seem to be likely to get native replaygain support in the foreseeable future...
"ONLY THOSE WHO ATTEMPT THE IMPOSSIBLE WILL ACHIEVE THE ABSURD"
        - Oceania Association of Autonomous Astronauts

WavPack 4.1 released

Reply #60
FYI :

I contacted the Radlight guys about a small change to their Wavpack4 DirectShow filter, so that it can connect to the matroska splitter for the upcoming release. Unfortunately they were going the easy way here, and made it a simple source filter. Anyhow, we hope there is a good chance to make it connect to Haali's splitter, and we pray that Brian's decoder will not break if we feed it stripped packages coming from MKV, if it expects framed packages coming from a wavpack file

I keep you updated about their answer  ....

Christian

WavPack 4.1 released

Reply #61
It sounds like bryant is gearing up for a release of 4.2 pretty soon.  Is there a beta higher than 4.2b3?  This page seems to indicate that there is.

I'm interested also in knowing if there is some kind of a batch system, or a foobar plugin that one could use to do encoder/decoder tests, where it will assist in precisely measuring the time that it takes to finish each encode/decode, and record them for you.

I'd like to grab a few different types of albums, and then run such a test with the newest version of wavpack, and post the results for others to see, so that it could help them to choose a codec, and the mode in which to use a codec.

WavPack 4.1 released

Reply #62
It sounds like bryant is gearing up for a release of 4.2 pretty soon.  Is there a beta higher than 4.2b3?  This page seems to indicate that there is.

I'm interested also in knowing if there is some kind of a batch system, or a foobar plugin that one could use to do encoder/decoder tests, where it will assist in precisely measuring the time that it takes to finish each encode/decode, and record them for you.

I'd like to grab a few different types of albums, and then run such a test with the newest version of wavpack, and post the results for others to see, so that it could help them to choose a codec, and the mode in which to use a codec.
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Try [a href="http://studwww.ugent.be/~jdebock/last_updates.htm]this page[/url] - you'll see the 4.2b4 link there 

WavPack 4.1 released

Reply #63
Try this page - you'll see the 4.2b4 link there 
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

4.2b4 has been announced by David here:
[a href="http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=32653&view=findpost&p=285661]http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....ndpost&p=285661[/url]

WavPack 4.1 released

Reply #64
Doh!  I'm not sure how I missed that, since I've even read that thread.
It threw me off because all the other betas were called wp42bx.zip, and this one was wavpack42b4.zip.  I tried manually entering the URL, but nothing found.  Bryant changed his naming scheme on me!   

http://www.wavpack.com/wavpack42b4.zip

WavPack 4.1 released

Reply #65
Seems like GStreamer will have Wavpack support in the future. I made a feature request for it, and it looks like the work is in progress.

WavPack 4.1 released

Reply #66
Seems like GStreamer will have Wavpack support in the future. I made a feature request for it, and it looks like the work is in progress.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=287540"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

That's great! Thanks

WavPack 4.1 released

Reply #67
From #matroska irc.corecodec.com  :

<ChrisHJW> alley_cat , are you here ?
<ChrisHJW> is there a working wavpack plugin for gstreamer already ?
<alley_cat> there are two
<alley_cat>
<ChrisHJW> then read here : http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....pic=27571&st=50
<alley_cat> someone else wrote one recently, though that can't work with wavpack from matroska
<ChrisHJW> the last 2 replies
<alley_cat> mine hasn't changed much recently, haven't had time to get the stuff working correctly
<ChrisHJW> is it using David's lib already ?
<ChrisHJW> or still based on your modified code ?
<alley_cat> mine is
<robUx4> http://unite-video.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?p=66538#66538
<ChrisHJW> do you distribute it somewhere ?
<alley_cat> the other one not yet, i just sent him the tarball today
<alley_cat> nope, that's up to david
<alley_cat> i sent him the 4.2 tarball
<ChrisHJW> alley_cat : David has your plugin ?
<alley_cat> oh, the plugin
<alley_cat> that's not ready for distribution
<ChrisHJW> yup
<ChrisHJW> :/
<ChrisHJW> and an alpha  ?
<alley_cat> 1) the lib it needs doesn't officially exist yet, 2) the code is still too ugly
<alley_cat> i won't release anything until i get at least basic stuff like seeking to work
<ChrisHJW>  2) the code is still too ugly  <--- i hear that all the time from you crazy coders
<alley_cat> the other wavpack plugin is much further than mine in that area
<alley_cat> it can seek and decode mono and stereo integer audio
<alley_cat> mine can only seek sometimes and decode stereo
<ChrisHJW> i c

WavPack 4.1 released

Reply #68
Here is the bug report, and decoder plugin seems to be there. I don't know does it work well or at all, but still it's something.

WavPack 4.1 released

Reply #69
Just a bump to ask if wavpack 4.2 will be out of beta soon.  I thought that the last beta was pretty much it, but is bryant planning on doing quite a bit more work before releasing the final version?

WavPack 4.1 released

Reply #70
Just a bump to ask if wavpack 4.2 will be out of beta soon.  I thought that the last beta was pretty much it, but is bryant planning on doing quite a bit more work before releasing the final version?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=288603"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I have actually created the final package three times now! 

The last was 4 days ago and everything looks good so far. The only change from the last beta is I fixed the 2+ gigabyte wav limitation. I am making final edits on the new website now. I'm not going to make any promises, but if I'm not done by this weekend someone should come over and put me out of my misery. 

WavPack 4.1 released

Reply #71
I have actually created the final package three times now! 

The last was 4 days ago and everything looks good so far. The only change from the last beta is I fixed the 2+ gigabyte wav limitation. I am making final edits on the new website now. I'm not going to make any promises, but if I'm not done by this weekend someone should come over and put me out of my misery. 
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=288826"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Good to hear it Bryant. Will you kindly create a new WavPack 4.2 thread to announce when it is released, as this thread is getting a bit long to read... Thanks.