Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: library file could not be written (Read 8656 times) previous topic - next topic

library file could not be written

When exiting I get error msg "library file could not be written (bad allocation)".

Music is stored on 3 differende HDD, foobar installation on another drive again (67 GB free space).
Collection size close to 80.000.

Happens with latest version and last before 1.0

Tried clean reinstall, (standard components only) standard and portable.

Dunno what to try next...

Reply #1
How much RAM do you have? How many tracks are in your media library?

The "bad allocation" error indicates that foobar2000 has run out of memory. Certain older versions of foobar2000 contained a bug, where this message could be triggered erroneously on Windows Vista. If I understand you correctly, you have experienced the error message with foobar2000 1.0 and the latest 0.9.6 version, which are both free from this bug.

Edit: You can try the following: Open Album List, select the root element, and choose "Utilities/Save as Playlist..." to save the contents of the media library as an FPL playlist. Does that give you the same error message?

Reply #2
I'm on XP with 3 GB RAM.
Close to 80.000 tracks.

When Foobar finished indexing the tracks it used up 1,2 GB RAM, total RAM used 2,33 GB.
Saving the playlist works...
Exiting foobar: same error msg.

Reply #3
Same behaviour with 1.0 final.

You wouldn't want me to give up on Foobar because of this would you? 

Reply #4
If you share that playlist you saved with foosion's instructions someone could try to reproduce.

Reply #5
hi,

i got the same problem with 1.0 under VISTA with 2GB ram an round about 12.000 soundfiles.

cheers

Reply #6
If you share that playlist you saved with foosion's instructions someone could try to reproduce.

Ok, thanks for the suggestion.
The file is uploading to dropbox at the moment of writing. I'll post the link when it's done (863 MB).

Is there anything to be gained by looking inside this file? If so, can you point me to an editor?

Reply #7
It should compress pretty well...
Full-quoting makes you scroll past the same junk over and over.

Reply #9
Your files seem to have some nonstandard COVERART tag fields that contain huge BASE64 encoded album art images. Let's hope Peter will add some mechanism to allow leaving these out of the database.

Reply #11
@up
BASE64 encoded album art images

takes probably some space, plus doesn't compress that well too

Reply #12
Thanx guys, looks like there's some serious pruning for me to do...   

Reply #13
To make it easier, you can create a column.
Code: [Select]
$if(%coverart%,YES,)

Then sort it on that column and select all files with cover and open Properties.
Select the <COVERART> row and hit delete, then OK.

This will remove all the covers for those files, you may want to copy it before some way.
Windows 10 Pro x64 // foobar2000 1.3.10

Reply #14
Or just open Library Search window and type "coverart PRESENT".
Full-quoting makes you scroll past the same junk over and over.

Reply #15
Whahey, someone with (almost) the same problem!

But ... I've solved mine!

It's definitely *NOT* a bug in foobar.
I got the closely related error message "library file could not be written (corrupted file)"
It seemed almost like a virus:

Every time I deleted the database.FPL, it came back! LOL! (yes foobar was NOT running when doing this)
It was always dated 2 days back, with a different TOD.
Deleted file ... and it was back again in virgin state, again with the strange date.
Ye olde Greek myth of Sisyphos came to mind...

Well, so what was the remedy?
It had 6 letters:
CHKDSK!

In my NTFS partition, there apparently was some filesystem problem concerning double-linked and/or orphaned files and all that jazz. After doing the chkdsk, everything was back to normal again!
Give it a whirl!
Kudos to all dev's not going like "Upgrade OS or f$%# off!"