Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: LossyWav/FLAC preset portable - quality (Read 5370 times) previous topic - next topic

LossyWav/FLAC preset portable - quality

Hi,

I would like to know how preset portable compares to mp3?
According to wiki; --quality portable: (-q P or -q -2.5) DAP quality preset for use on a compatible DAP.
It's nominal bitrate is 353k but it doesn't say much about comparable quality to mp3 for example.
Did anyone made some more thorough testing? I can't find more detailed info...

Re: LossyWav/FLAC preset portable - quality

Reply #1
imho, any codec is better when mp3. compare lossywav need to wavpack-lossy, musepack, opus (as better "classic" lossy).
but, join to "request". how lossywav -5/-2.5 corresponds to the "standart-lossy" (opus, virbis, aac, mpc) ~320/380kbps.

Reply #2
It was designed to be transparent with some exceptions. That would put it in similar quality to high bitrate setting of other codecs. On  my first test with that setting and lossywav I abxed a random track  - not a very big difference but not hard to abx at all @ 352k and normal volume. I could not do it around 384k.  Since then they adapted a more advance noise shaping so its expected to be much better. Below 400k, You might be better off with another codec using less bitrate. Lossywav --quality economic is the better option if your very concerned about quality,have/want no lossless versions and want to keep the bitrate economical .

Reply #3
Thanks shadowking,
I think I'll stick with traditional codec for portable. No need to go that high in 350-400k range IMO.

Reply #4
Thanks shadowking,
I think I'll stick with traditional codec for portable. No need to go that high in 350-400k range IMO.

I read in another thread you archived in wavpack 450k. You could use those files on portable that support Android OS , IOS or rockbox. That way you avoid transcoding and maintain identical quality on Pc and devices at half the lossless bitrate. If thats too high , I would transcode to a codec not higher than 256k or just use the wv 450k files.

Reply #5
Thanks shadowking,

I read in another thread you archived in wavpack 450k. You could use those files on portable that support Android OS , IOS or rockbox. That way you avoid transcoding and maintain identical quality on Pc and devices at half the lossless bitrate. If thats too high , I would transcode to a codec not higher than 256k or just use the wv 450k files.

Yes, you're right but I have second thoughts about completely dropping lossless archive because I don't know how wavpack is future proof (and also other less popular formats like musepack or optimfrog). For example what if I won't be able to play my wavpack 450k archive in 10-15 years?

Reply #6
http://wavpack.com/#Features
- WavPack is a completely open audio compression format...
- WavPack employs only well known, public domain techniques...
- Multiplatform support including Windows, Linux, and OS X...

do you have a troubles with playing any format recording before 2004?

Reply #7
@m14u these are good arguments but I think that is better to have lossless backup (because I initially wanted to completely drop lossless and use high quality lossy for listening and transcoding).

Reply #8
"./wavpack -f -b400 BN.wav -o BN.wv

WAVPACK  Hybrid Lossless Audio Compressor  Linux Version 4.32  2006-04-05
 Copyright (c) 1998 - 2005 Conifer Software.  All Rights Reserved.

created BN.wv in 11.02 secs (lossy, 418 kbps)"

the deadbeef is playing that file.

Reply #9
Rip lossless hybrid to a 'master' drive. Copy everything less .wvc files to your main PC  HDD. Label and put aside the master drive. You can consider this method as an insurance of sort. You may decide wether you need it or not down the line.

Reply #10
Manging your own Pc, apps, data means some risks and uncertainty. You will need a basic plan. If you want 'auto-pilot' go cloud computing. The risk don't need to be big as I explained in the MPC thread 1-2 weeks ago. For non-cloud computing , PC based playback, transcoding etc.. - I don't see a big issue for the next 1-2 decade or even more if your factor virtualization . For small open source projects there is an advantage here too. Hardware deprecation is more dangerous IMO - like having data on obsolete hardware - but this is not the case at all here. For behemoth projects with lots of dependencies like browser / office suites , there can be problems too but I can't see this being the case here at all. So upgrades of various things should not breaks anything seriously if at all. I look at the worst cases and candidates;

- Lossless audio LA; not maintained, website still online, closed source. Removed from foobar, little  / no linux support. Winamp 3.xx plugin exists. Old foobar  / winamp versions will be needed , speeks frontends etc. They are all still around worst case in archive.org. Chances are you will be able to put things together even in win 10 if you kept old versions or look online.

- Shorten; opensource, dead project, foobar plugin currently exists. It should be easer to put things together compared to LA.
- optimfrog, monkeys audio, mpc - All still maintained and no problem at all on the PC side of things. MA / MPC are open and have support on android,ios,ffmpeg too. Considering this Wavpack should be way ' safer ' given is current state and open BSD license. No comparison at all compared to LA  IMO and more support than optimfrog and even monkeys audio. It can be compared with MPC to some degree.

My suggestion is to keep an archive of various software, plugins, versions or at least keep bookmarks of URLs. Make a text document etc of the current setup what is needed , versions etc etc. Make portable installs of your favourite player with its plugins. Create or experiment with virtual machines.

Reply #11
Thanks shadowking for your detailed answer. :)
I will definitely keep my portable apps (that I create and maintain myself) in safe place (foobar2000 included with complete codec pack and personal settings as well) so I can play/use my local media archive in the future (for a long time I hope :))

As for audio, I think I'll keep my lossless archive because local storage is cheap these days and to me is not an issue.

Anyway, thanks for your effort in explaining important things about wavpack (especially in 450k range).