Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: TagBox Tag Editing Plugin (Read 152813 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: TagBox Tag Editing Plugin

Reply #225
Title formatting is just an abstraction. Think of it as read-only property. You can display %path% in any playlist column or Text display component. Do you think you should be able to edit it?? I hope not...

edit: that wasn't my statement, it was Porcus we both quoted.

Reply #226
Do you think you should be able to edit it?? I hope not...
I didn't say I wanted to edit it, I was fishing around for a way to display it but not use the Selection Properties panel (which is not configurable enough for my wants).  I have got around the problem by use of the Text Display panel - not very pretty, but it will do.
It's your privilege to disagree, but that doesn't make you right and me wrong.

Reply #228
I presume this is the thread for the component in general, rather than specifically for editing tags.  I thought it might be useful for displaying tags (in a configurable way, unlike Selection Properties).  Sorry if I have misled anyone.

Reply #229
Your statement "you cannot expect a component to show them" is invalidated by the Text Display component.
I was unclear: displaying is easy with title formatting - but manipulation didn't even make it into a file properties tab until way later than this component was last updated (which was 2011).
That said, "cannot expect" is not invalidated by a single counterexample; absence of guarantee is not guarantee of absence.

Reply #230
Will this plugin be updated for Foobar 2.0?

Reply #232
OP was last active in 2011 and the website in the first post is dead. I wouldn't hold your breath.

I suppose you're right.  Any ideas for a more modern substitute? I love being able to quickly modify a tag without opening the properties dialogue.

Reply #233
Same here! This and foo_scrobble are holding me back from going 64-bit. I use TagBox all the time and I'd really like to not lose the functionality it provides.

Reply #234
The only alternative I've found is by switching to Columns UI and then using the 'Item properties' panel. There's no Auto Suggest or anything like that, just basic tag entry.
Unfortunately there's no 64-bit version yet, but it's coming.

Reply #235
The only alternative I've found is by switching to Columns UI and then using the 'Item properties' panel. There's no Auto Suggest or anything like that, just basic tag entry.
Auto Suggest is the most important thing, we use TagBox for...
Personally, i shall also stick with 32-bit (with default user interface), until there is a similarly valuable replacement of TagBox.

Reply #237
CUI is actively maintained so why not ask for it? The worst that can happen is that you get turned down.
I have been using DUI for 10 years, with a thoroughly structured, personalized system. User folder is 1 GB without minibar and wavecache database -- 200 MB compressed, in backups. Dozens of complex structured windows, hundreds of buttons, columns and functions, 600 complicated and organized autoplaylistes. I do not have the time or inclination to change at the moment, and probably would not later either.

Reply #238
Auto Suggest is the most important thing, we use TagBox for...
I don't know who we is but it's cetainly not me, and I don't know if it includes the other posters I was replying to, but I use it just so I can have a tag entry panel directly within the user interface as it's the only one I was aware of that I could use in DUI. I had to use DUI as I wanted to use Facets, but with v2 that's available in CUI now too.
I'd imagine most people get their tags from an online database so have limited requirements for auto suggest.

A panel version of the Shift+Enter window has been requested for years, so unfortunately I don't hold out much hope for it.

Personally, i shall also stick with 32-bit (with default user interface), until there is a similarly valuable replacement of TagBox.
I don't think there's any need to move to 64-bit, just use the v2 32-bit version.

Reply #239
I just realised this might be a Tagbox 0.212 thing:

FB2K 1.6.12

I have Preferences > Advanced > Tagging > General > Preserve file creation/access/modification time when retagging unticked, because I want to be able to search for updated files externally to FB2K and sync them to elsewhere.

So, I found a track in my Library Viewer Selection playlist that needed its title tweaking, right-clicked and opened Tagbox, made the tweak and Apply Changes.  The change got updated in the playlist, and viewing the file externally shows the title has been updated in the file and not just cached somewhere... but the timestamp on the file remains preserved and was not updated, apparently contrary to the setting.

What am I doing wrong?

This is a big thing for me, so if it's Tagbox that's not respecting the "don't preserve" setting, what alternative means can I use to modify tags when required (within FB2K - I already use MP3Tag externally)?

Reply #240
OK, I've figured out (and confirmed) I can use the Archive attribute to distinguish modified files, but Windows doesn't make it easy! 
Code: [Select]
dir /s /aa *.mp3
finds all MP3 files in all sub-folders which have the archive attribute set.

Reply #241
I just realised this might be a Tagbox 0.212 thing:

This is a big thing for me, so if it's Tagbox that's not respecting the "don't preserve" setting, what alternative means can I use to modify tags when required (within FB2K - I already use MP3Tag externally)?

I just checked this as I too use TagBox with 1.6.12 and it's working fine here.

Reply #242
I just checked this as I too use TagBox with 1.6.12 and it's working fine here.
Thanks for doing that.

Just to confirm: if you use TagBox to modify (say) the title tag, then the file modified timestamp is updated when the Preserve File Modification Time setting is unticked?

That being the case, anybody got any ideas where I should look for the source of my problem?

Reply #243
Just to confirm: if you use TagBox to modify (say) the title tag, then the file modified timestamp is updated when the Preserve File Modification Time setting is unticked?
That's correct. Have you ever ticked the 'Preserve file creation ... time' setting?

That being the case, anybody got any ideas where I should look for the source of my problem?
I would have no idea how to debug things other than starting from a clean portable install and installing components as I go, at least if you started with TagBox you'll see it's not - directly - at fault.

Reply #244
Have you ever ticked the 'Preserve file creation ... time' setting?
Yes.

Reply #245
I think I've worked it out: the system date was wrong so the "file modified" date appeared to be in the past!

Reply #246
Hi, I have been using this plugin for many years and now it is not working properly since beta 18... has anyone else noticed this?

Reply #247
Same here. Beta 22 and Tagbox doesn't function at all.
Works great in version 1.6.14.

Reply #248
Yup, not working on b23 either. I rolled back to b17 because of this plugin. I guess the nail is in the coffin for this one. 12 or so years without updates and multiple versions of fb2k with little issue. Was bound to happen sooner or later. RIP.

Reply #249
Any idea for a worthy alternative?
(Unfortunately the website doesn't allow me to download older beta versions, otherwise I'd definitely install beta 17)