Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: EAC Drive Read Options? (Read 2943 times) previous topic - next topic

EAC Drive Read Options?

Hi all,

I am in the process of ripping all my CDs. (I had a little mishap with my hard drive, and I did not recover nearly enough of them.) So, I have setup newest version of EAC w/LAME 3.97b (per HA) to do this. (-V 0 --vbr-new...)

Could someone explain to me what the different read modes for the drives do? My CDRW can do accurate streaming, C2 error and that other option in that first set of read options. But this is slower.

My drive can also do burst mode reading, which is quicker. I usually use burst mode because I don't have too much time.

I want quality, but I'd also like speed. Is there any compelling reason not to use burst mode? Or any reason when i should use accurate streaming, C2, etc... etc...

TIA

EAC Drive Read Options?

Reply #1
If your CD is brand new, no scratches, it is OK to RIP with buferred burst.......but you must make sure your drive can rip CD accurately before doing this, because some drives' lasers can't point accurately, or miss the position where it stops(which happens when computer is slow or halt when riping)

download a free copy of feurio, test your drive with this program, it will thoroughly test your drive's ripping accuracy

http://www.feurio.com/English/index.shtml

well, if a CD is slightly scratched and dirty, you should use secure mode in case your drive misses any samples which can be recovered if read for more than once

EAC Drive Read Options?

Reply #2
If your CD is brand new, no scratches, it is OK to RIP with buferred burst.......but you must make sure your drive can rip CD accurately before doing this, because some drives' lasers can't point accurately, or miss the position where it stops(which happens when computer is slow or halt when riping)

download a free copy of feurio, test your drive with this program, it will thoroughly test your drive's ripping accuracy

http://www.feurio.com/English/index.shtml

well, if a CD is slightly scratched and dirty, you should use secure mode in case your drive misses any samples which can be recovered if read for more than once
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=337837"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I checked their website, it does not mention a test program...
Is 'secure' a read option? Or do I have to put in the compressor command?

EAC Drive Read Options?

Reply #3
C2 can sometimes mislead your drive into thinking erroneous data is correct so it's usually recommended to disable C2 checking.