Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Smartphones and FLAC (Read 6327 times) previous topic - next topic

Smartphones and FLAC

Hello,
I recently found out that many newer smartphones support lossless audio formats like FLAC, ALAC and such. So now I'm kind of confused which ones bring real high-quality sound and which ones are just deceit.

Smartphones and FLAC

Reply #1
Such phones will decode FLAC properly, just as well as any computer. What you want is RMAA-type measurements of the devices' audio performance, regardless of the codec used (doesn't matter if you play FLACs, WAVs or even transparent MP3s). Here's the Galaxy Nexus compared to the iPod Classic and FiiO E7 for instance. The GN loses to the others, but from listening to it a lot, I'd say it sounds decent enough for casual listening on the go without the added bulk of a dedicated device. Other popular smartphones have good reputation regarding sound quality, though I don't have objective evidence handy for any of them.

Using FLAC on a storage limited smartphone would be rather pointless though, IMO. Transparent lossy audio is all you need for listening purposes when storage is an issue.

Smartphones and FLAC

Reply #2
Hello,
I recently found out that many newer smartphones support lossless audio formats like FLAC, ALAC and such. So now I'm kind of confused which ones bring real high-quality sound and which ones are just deceit.

You might want to read this: http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....showtopic=93402

Smartphones and FLAC

Reply #3
GSMArena has RMAA measurements in the reviews.