Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: is there a DTS wav file player ? (Read 18968 times) previous topic - next topic

is there a DTS wav file player ?

hi !

I have some DTS encoded wav files and I really need to hear them.

What software should I use ? I don't have a external DTS decoder.

Is there a DTS winamp plugin, like the valex's AC3 plugin ?

Please help !

Thanks

Reply #1
Try foobar2000

EDIT: Typo
fb2k 0.9 beta 13.

Reply #2
Or foobar2000 even.
"You can fight without ever winning, but never win without a fight."  Neil Peart  'Resist'

Reply #3
foobar2000 with foo_dts and the files named .dts works fine here.

Reply #4
Since no one seems to have suggested it already, Foobar2000 should work.

Reply #5
Since no one seems to have suggested it already, Foobar2000 should work.
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

As I posted [a href="http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=35655&view=findpost&p=314379]here[/url], seems it works with some types of DTS. I don't know what the differences of these DTS files are, but foo_dts only wants to recognize one of these DTS encoding types....

Does anybody know why the 1,2 encodings work and the 1,5 encodings doesn't? I don't know much about DTS.
"ONLY THOSE WHO ATTEMPT THE IMPOSSIBLE WILL ACHIEVE THE ABSURD"
        - Oceania Association of Autonomous Astronauts

Reply #6
Try VLC.

Reply #7
,Jul 23 2005, 12:38 PM]Since no one seems to have suggested it already, Foobar2000 should work.
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

As I posted [a href="http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=35655&view=findpost&p=314379]here[/url], seems it works with some types of DTS. I don't know what the differences of these DTS files are, but foo_dts only wants to recognize one of these DTS encoding types....

Does anybody know why the 1,2 encodings work and the 1,5 encodings doesn't? I don't know much about DTS.
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks for the link. I downloaded one of the "1,5" files and fixed [a href="http://www.saunalahti.fi/cse/foo_dts.zip]foo_dts[/url] to play it. The file I downloaded was very quiet and you really need to turn volume up to hear the music.

Reply #8
Thanks for the link. I downloaded one of the "1,5" files and fixed foo_dts to play it. The file I downloaded was very quiet and you really need to turn volume up to hear the music.
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thank you very much for the fix!
Yes the volumes are very low, I fixed that with replaygain and got values of up to +12 dB!   

While we're at it; I also downloaded the DTS file of the Prix Europa Opening Concert with the group Musique à Neuf from Belgium from [a href="http://www.sr.se/multikanal/index.stm]swedish radios multichannel download site[/url]. The file plays back well with foo_dts, but it lags almost a minute with very high CPU consumption before playback starts.

[EDIT] Found the english version of the swedish radio site I've linked to above, it's here. [/EDIT]

Reply #9
VLC plays DTS files without having to rename them to *.dts, plus it starts playing immediately.

Reply #10
VLC plays DTS files without having to rename them to *.dts, plus it starts playing immediately.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=315689"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

foo_dts also starts playback immediately with any other files I've tried, the lag is a problem with only one tested file so far....

VLC gives me the slight problem that even though the files starts playing, I get no sound whatsoever....

Reply #11
That's because dts decoding is disabled since recently ( http://developers.videolan.org/libdca.html )
Videolan doesn't even host sources, leave alone distribute binaries.

Reply #12
I have a Chaintech AV710 soundcard and still can't figure out how to play DTS files. I have tried many players(ie. Foobar(installed the foo_dts.dll), VLC, WinDVD, etc and still can't get files to play without hearing static.

Do I need to have 5.1 speakers attached to be able to play these files and should they be connected to the SPDIF output? I only have 2.1 speakers hooked up currently. Are there any special settings in Foobar I need to make?

Thanks for any help you can give me!

Kevin

Reply #13
I can play my DTS wav files simply with Media Player Classic and with ffdshow decoder.

The latest of these tools can be downloaded from
http://m17n.cool.ne.jp/freeware/mpc/

In ffdshow audio decoder configuration, go to the "codecs" section, and enable the DTS decoder to libdts, and also there is a checkbox at the bottom, called "check for DTS in wav", enable this checkbox.

Then play the wav file with Media Player Classic.If the file is in flac, firstly convert it to wav.

I hope this helps.

Reply #14
I have a Chaintech AV710 soundcard and still can't figure out how to play DTS files. I have tried many players(ie. Foobar(installed the foo_dts.dll), VLC, WinDVD, etc and still can't get files to play without hearing static.

Do I need to have 5.1 speakers attached to be able to play these files and should they be connected to the SPDIF output? I only have 2.1 speakers hooked up currently. Are there any special settings in Foobar I need to make?

Thanks for any help you can give me!

Kevin
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=323394"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

With foobar2000 you should do the following:
1) Put foo_dts.dll in "Components" (as you've already done). Download the one Case posted above in this thread, as it contain the newest fixes.
2) The dts file extension MUST be renamed from *.wav to *.dts
3) When using stereo setup, make sure you enable  "Convert 5.1 to stereo" in foobars DSP chain.

That should be it, really. If it still doesn't work, then foo_dts probably can't play that particular file.....

Reply #15
What Mr Rabid Teddybear posted will downmix the audio to two channels.  If you want to play a DTS file through SPDIF with all channels intact, you wouldn't change the extension at all.  However, you need bit-perfect output on the sound card.