Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Is Loudness Equalization Worth it? How To Enable? (Read 28830 times) previous topic - next topic

Is Loudness Equalization Worth it? How To Enable?

Hi Friends,

Is Loudness Equalization worth it? How can I get it enabled for my device?

Re: Is Loudness Equalization Worth it? How To Enable?

Reply #1
Worth it, probably, but if you don't perceive a problem with different loudness levels on different tracks now then perhaps not worth it.  How to enable depends on the device and codec.  You'll need music tracks with (probably) metadata included to show the normalisation level, then most (or just many?) devices will normalise by default.

Reply #2
Loudness Equalization... ReplayGain?

Reply #3
If you mean loudness normalization, then it could be what the others said, replaygain, soundcheck or a few other names depending on who implemented it.
You need to provide more information.

loudness equalization made me think about something that equipment had in the 90s, from integrated amplifiers to walkmans, which was a boost of the frequencies at lower volumes so that the sound was richer without needing to increase the volume.

Reply #4
I've still got a loudness button on my car radio!  Its not quite from the 1990's, but not far off.

Reply #5
The Yamaha Natural Sound variable loudness control is my godsend and has been for nearly 3 decades. It doesn’t work well unless it’s adjusted in conjunction with the volume and treble controls. The treble control is only used for reduction. The bass might get bumped at very quiet listening levels or be reduced at loud listening levels, but normally stays at unity. This is all room and speaker dependent, of course. The point is to equalize the timbre at any listening level, which I find quite easy to do. A simple mid cut is wholly inadequate.

I may also adjust out equalization applied during production which I deem to be extreme.

My albums are level-matched using the original algorithm by David Robinson.

That was for home use; for listening in the car I normally listen at a consistent level and leave the EQ alone, for obvious reasons. I may apply limiting on a track-by-track basis using my own preset in Adobe Audition before encoring to a lossy format when listening outside the home.

Reply #6
If I am using from PC , will using this method give quality output? Or should I use a 3rd party app?

Reply #7
Looks like a spambot

Reply #8
^ Could be.
PANIC: CPU 1: Cache Error (unrecoverable - dcache data) Eframe = 0x90000000208cf3b8
NOTICE - cpu 0 didn't dump TLB, may be hung