Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: How to get started with VS 2015 and foobar2000 SDK? (Read 1993 times) previous topic - next topic - Topic derived from Visual Studio 2013-20...

How to get started with VS 2015 and foobar2000 SDK?

Question: I've got totally no experience with VS anyversion, Just installed the VS2015 Community version, downloaded the SDK and did my first build ever of foo_sample. Component compiled without errors and shows up in FB2K. So far so good,

However, the build process produced a bucket load of warnings. Most were related to a GetVersion/GetVersionExW being deprecated, things like "conversion from 'X' to 'Y' requires a narrowing conversion" and truncation warnings.  Since the component did compile without errors I take it these can be ignored, but nevertheless seeing all those warnings come by makes me uncertain since I have no idea what they mean (yet) being totally new to VS2015.

I take it I can safely ignore all this?

Re: How to get started with VS 2015 and foobar2000 SDK?

Reply #1
You're essentially being told that some variables may, at times, not be exactly equal to what you expect. If you explicitly used narrowing or truncation, it's expected that you knew what you were doing. If you didn't (which the messages tell me is the situation), you have potential problems with values being different from what you expect.

You can always ignore warnings, but that seldom ends well in most situations.

Reply #2
Indeed :D I've got no idea what I'm doing. Like I said, first time ever installing a VS environment and only to comment out 1 line and recompile a component for personal use... Was just curious if it could mean I still had not set up the environment correctly.

Reply #3
If the component worked properly in the past, you may be okay. Unless, of course, you commented out something important.

Seeing as I'm barely VS-savvy, I'll have to let the experts provide any other suggestions.