Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: [not my release] foo_dynamic_range (Read 86844 times) previous topic - next topic

[not my release] foo_dynamic_range

Reply #25
You can see one post above yours where your complaint should go. It's wasted here.

Reply #26
This plugin has one annoying bug, in grouping mode it doesnot regard album artist. This leading to treat each single track on more artists albums as separate album. Causing race conditions on r/w operations (especially multitrack albums). Should enable a custom grouping pattern similar like replaygain scanner uses.

Regarding this bug, it indeed confuses artists on albums with track artists.
But it does not try to simultaneously read multiple tracks of the CD?! Maybe you should update your foobar2000??
And also, I advise to uncheck the Group playlist items in Preferences (CTRL+P) > Advanced > Tools > Dynamic range meter.
Only this way, the log file for an album with multiple track artists will be complete.

Reply #27
And also, I advise to uncheck the Group playlist items in Preferences (CTRL+P) > Advanced > Tools > Dynamic range meter.
Only this way, the log file for an album with multiple track artists will be complete.

That's right, however the option of mass scanning is not available (I use always the latest foobar build anyway).

Reply #28
mass scanning is not available

You mean you can’t scan several albums at once?? Well maybe but I don’t know as I only scan one CD (scanning CD itself in CD drive) at a time.

Reply #29
And also, I advise to uncheck the Group playlist items in Preferences (CTRL+P) > Advanced > Tools > Dynamic range meter

Not a very smart suggestion. If you uncheck this and scan several albums at once, all albums will be assigned the average dynamic rating across all albums.

Reply #30
And also, I advise to uncheck the Group playlist items in Preferences (CTRL+P) > Advanced > Tools > Dynamic range meter

Not a very smart suggestion. If you uncheck this and scan several albums at once, all albums will be assigned the average dynamic rating across all albums.

You have doubts on my smartness but I said I scan CD per CD (CDDA, not FLAC, MP3, etc.). I have no such problem you describe.
Anyway I said it’s the only way and I think it’s still true. If you don’t do that a single album will be split in as many as you have distinct track artists.

Reply #31
it looks that wit no grouping it writes no logs

Reply #32
I use right-click show log as it cannot write any file on an Audio CD.
You can try that.

Reply #33
The author website is now down but you can still see it in webarchive and still download the foo_dynamic_range 1.1.1 plugin from this page I found. (same foo_dynamic_range_1.1.1.zip file mirror, thanks !).

Reply #35
Would this tool give sensible results if used on a 6-channel track?  How does it calculate a DR?

Reply #36
I'm curious - I was reading that the DR values can come out different depending on how the files have been encoded. Is it still worthwhile using this tool to determine the DR of an mp3 album, especially if it has a low bitrate? I get the idea that the DR values of the actual CD would be more accurately reflected in a lossless rip, but I could be wrong.

Reply #37
convert a lossless album to low bitrate mp3 and compare the values??

Reply #39
I am pretty much a fanatical audiophile and my foobar2000 setup has this Dynamic Range plugin installed.....and I hardly ever use it! In my opinion the stats produced by this plugin are not much of a big deal at all for the purpose of judging the sound quality of an album and comparing to other releases.

Having said that, this plugin is helpful when you are trying to calculate a peak gain value to be applied with sound processing software (e.g. Saracon,) for the purpose of preventing clipping and maximizing volume when doing conversion jobs such as SACD DSD audio to PCM WAV.

foo_dynamic_range.dll is not the only way of reporting dynamic range and peak info; it can also be reported using the command line tool r128gain.exe

FYI, an actual comparison of the reports generated by those two tools on the same target album on my computer:

foo_dynamic_range.dll (@foobar2000 -> items in playlist -> context menu: Dynamic Range Meter)
Code: [Select]
Track1          Range: 15           Peak: -5.50 dB            RMS: -25.87 dB
Track2          Range: 18           Peak: -9.13 dB            RMS: -33.75 dB
Track3          Range: 16           Peak: -10.57 dB           RMS: -32.24 dB
Track4          Range: 15           Peak: -14.48 dB           RMS: -36.47 dB
Track5          Range: 14           Peak: -5.20 dB            RMS: -25.45 dB

r128gain.exe (@CommandPrompt -> r128gain.exe --r128 --db --progress=on "C:\<TargetFolder>")
Track1          Range: 19.9 db           Peak: -5.5 dbFS            RMS: -24.6 dbFS
Track2          Range: 19.2 db           Peak: -9.1 dbFS            RMS: -32.6 dbFS
Track3          Range: 18.6 db           Peak: -10.6 dbFS           RMS: -31.4 dbFS
Track4          Range: 18.3 db           Peak: -14.5 dbFS           RMS: -35.5 dbFS
Track5          Range: 21.0 db           Peak: -5.2 dbFS            RMS: -23.8 dbFS

As you can see, the tools do not report the exact same values for all calculations, but they do report accurate enough peak information to be used for applying 'clip-free gain' in further processing tasks. You use the lowest absolute peak number as 'reference value', which in this case is -5.20 and subtract one-hundredth to give some headroom, giving us -5.19.

So, the number to use as gain value in Saracon for the above case will be +5.19 , which will create output files having maximum volume with clip-free gain.
If the lowest absolute peak number 'reference value' is over 6dB , we insert +6dB (i.e. it is the ceiling value, no higher value to be used).

----

@marc2003,
Is there any chance you could create a WSH Panel mod script to run and display the r128gain dynamic range report ....that would be really cool!!!
It also gives people the option of NOT having to install this foo_dynamic_range plugin to view this type of information.
Thanks.

Reply #40
I tried converting a FLAC album to MP3 V4 (I deliberately chose a poorer bitrate, typical of what might be the rare lowest-quality audio I'd find in my library) and then ran the dynamic range plugin on the converted album. Here's the results:

FLAC:
DR         Peak         RMS     Duration Track
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
DR15      -0.16 dB   -20.86 dB     15:16 06-Les Préludes
DR16      -1.62 dB   -24.56 dB     15:36 01-Symphonie fantastique: I. Rêveries - Passions
DR14      -5.44 dB   -24.86 dB      6:23 02-Symphonie fantastique: II. Un bal
DR19      -0.04 dB   -28.23 dB     16:15 03-Symphonie fantastique: III. Scène aux champs
DR13       0.00 dB   -18.15 dB      4:55 04-Symphonie fantastique: IV. Marche au supplice
DR14       0.00 dB   -20.32 dB     10:35 05-Symphonie fantastique: V. Songe d'une nuit du sabbat
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MP3 V4:
DR         Peak         RMS     Duration Track
DR15      -0.36 dB   -20.86 dB     15:16 06-Les Préludes
DR16      -1.31 dB   -24.56 dB     15:36 01-Symphonie fantastique: I. Rêveries - Passions
DR14      -5.37 dB   -24.86 dB      6:23 02-Symphonie fantastique: II. Un bal
DR19      -0.05 dB   -28.23 dB     16:15 03-Symphonie fantastique: III. Scène aux champs
DR14       0.00 dB   -18.15 dB      4:55 04-Symphonie fantastique: IV. Marche au supplice
DR14       0.00 dB   -20.32 dB     10:35 05-Symphonie fantastique: V. Songe d'une nuit du sabbat

There are only slight differences in the calculated peaks.

Reply #41
It also gives people the option of NOT having to install this foo_dynamic_range plugin to view this type of information.

instead they have to install WSH panel mod, add a panel to their layout, download and extract my files into their profile folder, turn off safe mode and then import the script. much easier....

if you really want to, my existing simple text reader script can display text files. by default it will load the first txt/log file it finds in the current playing track's folder but you can customise the folder path/filename with any titleformatting you like.

Reply #42
Vinyls are reported as having higher DR than CD using the same master, so it might not be accurate for comparing lossy encoded files either.

It would be nice it was updated to include R128 peak-to-loudness-ratio metric that's used by a few pro audio tools.

Reply #43
I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this but I'm attempting to figure out if this component can insert the DR values for each track and the entire album into my FLAC tags? If not does anyone know an easy way to do this.

I suppose I could parse the foo_dr.txt and use metaflac to insert these but it would require a custom script and some time. Has anyone done this before?

Also, Does anyone know how to get in touch with the developer? It seems like it should be easy to update the component to write tags.

Reply #44
Well, it does add those tags in files (as well as in CDDA tracks thanks to cddb) when you check that advanced > tools > Dynamic Range Meter setting called Write DR meta data tags.

Reply #45
Reading markanini's post, all the things with this foobar plugin seems very confusing. I'm not a technician.

markanini
Will you so kind, as to inform us about the source? FLAC or MP3, with or without tags?

any other technician
In your opinion, may we believe foo_dynamic_range's result, or no? Do the plugin or the EXE tool work wrong?

Re: [not my release] foo_dynamic_range

Reply #47
Sorry to resurrect an old thread (again).

@incifinci, I'm not a technician, and I'm not sure if this is what you are asking, but just in case:

AFAIK, the popular explanation for inflated DR scores from vinyl sources is that vinyl's inherent surface noise (pops, clicks, static, groove noise, etc.) can artificially inflate the DR value, leaving vinyl rips with higher DR scores than their digital counterparts, even if they are from the same master. So DR meter scores for vinyl sources should be taken with a grain of salt, but this only applies to vinyl - it has no effect on DR scores from digital sources (lossy or lossless), so those results can be views as accurate.

Reply #48
Yes, it is. Thank you!

Now I am looking for foo_dynamic_range vs. r128gain...

Reply #49
Well, it does add those tags in files (as well as in CDDA tracks thanks to cddb) when you check that advanced > tools > Dynamic Range Meter setting called Write DR meta data tags.

Hi.

It does indeed write the values to flac files, individually. But I work with CUE files, and set Foobar to deliberately ignore the FLACs. Also, most of the time my albums don't consist in FLAC files for each track but one big FLAC file for the whole album, and this plugin doesn't seem to know how to write into the CUE.

Any suggestions?