Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: WMP Tag Plus - MPEG4, Vorbis and FLAC metadata support for WMP (Read 517002 times) previous topic - next topic

WMP Tag Plus - MPEG4, Vorbis and FLAC metadata support for WMP

Reply #500
Explorer doesn't look at a different set of FLAC tags than WMP, it simply doesn't look at any tags at all, because it doesn't recognize FLAC. WMP Tag Plus only adds tagging support to WMP and not to Explorer. To get FLAC tagging support in Explorer, you will need to install an additional FLAC property handler such as this one or the one included in dBpoweramp.

Also, are you sure that the Grace tuner supports FLAC via UPNP? I'm not familiar with the UPNP protocol but I would guess that this is completely different from playing from a directory structure. I'm not sure if the protocol even supports custom audio formats like FLAC.

Reply #501
Thanks, Tim. The good news: installed the FLAC handler and Explorer now recognizes the FLAC file tags. So does the Grace tuner, which sorts / organizes based on those tags.

The bad news: once I select on the basis of tags, the tuner still doesn't recognize / display the actual FLAC files as playable music files.

The Grace tuner does support FLAC playback via UPNP -- at least in some circumstances. It recognizes an external HDD or thumb drive attached to the router's USB port as a UPNP server, displaying and playing a directory structure of FLAC files. But there's no tag or playlist support in this setup, and the number of directories it supports (10) on a non-WMP drive seems geared toward something like a thumb drive, but useless for a music library. Which is what started me down the road of trying to integrate the FLAC files into WMP in the first place.

(I realized this is headed off-topic, so we can drop it, or take it elsewhere if you have some thoughts on what I might try. Grace support has been worse than useless -- a boilerplate litany of reboots / resets.)

Reply #502
I don't have any experience with audio streaming so I'm afraid that I can't help you further. You may want to ask for advice in the FLAC forum on this website.

Reply #503
Today I downloaded and installed WMP Tag Plus 2.1 to get FLAC tags working in Media Player 12. All the metadata appear to be working fine except for the album art? I've tried replacing the art with *.png files but that didn't help. I notice that the album art displays fine in VLC (2.0.5). I've also since installed Windows 7 File Explorer support for FLAC using 'Windows 7 FLAC Property Handler' and that works perfectly showing the album art.

Has anyone else had this problem or can anyone help me troubleshoot this? Thanks! 

Reply #504
Does the album art appear if you re-add the FLAC files to the library? Make sure that WMP Tag Plus is checked in Tools - Plug-ins, select the files, right-click, Delete - Delete from library only - OK. Then go to Tools - Advanced and select Restore deleted library items.

If that doesn't help, can you upload one of these files and PM me the download link so I can take a look myself? You can use Dropbox or a file sharing website like Skydrive/Rapidshare. Thanks!

Reply #505
Today I downloaded and installed WMP Tag Plus 2.1 to get FLAC tags working in Media Player 12. All the metadata appear to be working fine except for the album art? I've tried replacing the art with *.png files but that didn't help. I notice that the album art displays fine in VLC (2.0.5). I've also since installed Windows 7 File Explorer support for FLAC using 'Windows 7 FLAC Property Handler' and that works perfectly showing the album art.

Has anyone else had this problem or can anyone help me troubleshoot this? Thanks! 

Hi.  Someone covered this issue quite some time ago.  I would suggest experimenting with one albums artwork.  What you want to do is set up file explorer to view all files, including system files.  Then you will see multiple image files in each folder.  Some of the image files will have very long file names, you want to delete those that have very long file name strings.  Again, test this with only one album and see if that works for you.

I found that if I allowed those files to stay, every time I rebuilt my library or viewed the library from another computer, the album art would not show up.  Once those image files with the long strings are deleted, the album art shows up without any issues.

test the issue....

Reply #506
pg 8

"01 When I Kissed the Teacher.flac
02 Dancing Queen.flac
03 My Love, My Life.flac
04 Dum Dum Diddle.flac
05 Knowing Me, Knowing You.flac
06 Money, Money, Money.flac
07 That's Me.flac
08 Why Did It Have to Be Me.flac
09 Tiger.flac
10 Arrival.flac
11 Fernando [-].flac
12 Happy Hawaii [-].flac
13 La Reina del Baile [-].flac
14 Conociéndome, Conociéndote [-].flac
15 Fernando [Spanish Version][-].flac
(*) AlbumArt_{A3B92F5A-1A65-4A74-9498-B5815DB1E161}_Large.jpg
(*) AlbumArt_{A3B92F5A-1A65-4A74-9498-B5815DB1E161}_Small.jpg
(*) AlbumArtSmall.jpg
Arrival (flac).cue
CD.jpg
desktop.ini
Folder.jpg
Inlay.jpg
Sleeve Back.jpg
Sleeve Front.jpg

If I delete the files preceded by (*), WMP will now show up the folder.jpg image automatically."
--------------

this person is implying that you also need to delete the AlbumArtSmall.jpg.  I am not sure that is the case, but the other two should be deleted.

Reply #507
b23h: with older versions of WMP Tag Plus, it was indeed necessary to delete the AlbumArt_*.jpg files for the album art in Folder.jpg to show up. However, now that WMP Tag Plus supports album art this shouldn't be necessary anymore.

Reply #508
Would it be possible to create an external Spotify app from WMP Tag Plus to enable their desktop software reading local FLAC files? At the moment Spotify recognizes ALAC already if Quicktime is installed on the computer, but neither FLAC nor WMA Lossless local files. So it needs the ability to understand their tags and use the necessary decoders as well. Here is a thread on the Spotify Community forum describing the problem.
ZZee ya, Hans-Jürgen
BLUEZZ BASTARDZZ - "That lil' ol' ZZ Top cover band from Hamburg..."
INDIGO ROCKS - "Down home rockin' blues. Tasty as strudel."

Reply #509
Do you mean a plug-in for the existing Spotify application, similar to what WMP Tag Plus is to WMP? Such a plug-in would have to be written from scratch, since the host application is completely different. WMP Tag Plus is too tightly coupled to WMP to make a Spotify plug-in out of it.

Reply #510
Yes, that is what I meant, thanks for your reply. The Spotify desktop software enables the development and inclusion of external apps through its open API and also reads the local file library on your computer besides streaming playlists from their online catalogue in Ogg Vorbis format (160 kbps for free users or 320 kbps for subscribers). But I guess it would be too much work to develop this from WMP Tag Plus.

Another question concerning Last.fm scrobbling of FLAC files: installing WMP Tag Plus with Windows Media Player should be enough to enable this, right? Of course the user would also need a FLAC decoder filter, but usually he already has installed one if he listens to FLAC files on his computer, and he has to install the Last.fm scrobbler with WMP plugin, too.
ZZee ya, Hans-Jürgen
BLUEZZ BASTARDZZ - "That lil' ol' ZZ Top cover band from Hamburg..."
INDIGO ROCKS - "Down home rockin' blues. Tasty as strudel."

Reply #511
Correct on the scrobbling question (the length of the song needs to be present in WMP's library for the scrobbling to work).

Reply #512
Hi Tim, I have a query about using your plug-in to get WMP to refresh song tags (from your Tools tab).

I just tried to use it with the intention to get new Album Artwork into WMP12 from some Apple Lossless music files. I had added new embedded album artwork to a couple of albums. Unfortunately when I used this command WMP Tag Plus 2.1 said there was nothing new to add.

I ended up having to delete the watched folder entirely from WMP and then re-add it thereby forcing WMP to rescan the whole lot.

My music is ripped from CDs using iTunes, and initially iTunes downloads matching album artwork from the iTunes store (600x600 resolution) but stores the artwork separately as .itc2 files. It is relatively easy to later convert this to embedded artwork in the tracks but then I would need to get WMP to recognise that. Hence it would be a big help if your plugin noticed that the embedded artwork had changed and updated WMP.

Note: WMP12 has built-in support for MPEG4 'atoms' aka. meta-tags in .m4a files as used for AAC and Apple Lossless music. It does also read embedded album artwork from these files. This means I no longer need to mess about with folder.jpg files. 

Reply #513
The Refresh song tags command is only for refreshing songs of the non-native formats whose tags haven't been read yet, or to move these songs (+ Apple Lossless) to Music if they're still in Other media.

As you say yourself, WMP 12 already has built-in support for MPEG-4 embedded artwork. I feel that refreshing the artwork of natively supported formats is actually out of the scope of Refresh song tags or even WMP Tag Plus.

I would have assumed that WMP does automatically pick up the embedded artwork changes, just like it does when any other tag gets changed from outside of WMP. Are you sure that this isn't the case? WMP will of course update the artwork in the library when you use its Paste Album Art command (which will also embed). When testing the embedded artwork functionality of WMP Plus's tag editor, I seem to recall that WMP also picked up artwork changes there, but I'm not 100% sure of that anymore.

Reply #514
Long time, but same problem... ALAC files in Other Media section... actually same files as last time 

But now I have Windows 8 and have tried everything. Refresh in Tools section, checked those registry keys and have trialed different filters and splitters. Cleared the database and so on. Nothing. Is it Win 8 issue ? Files play fine, so filters work, but m4a lossless files are sitting in wrong place. Any ideas ?

Reply #515
ALAC support is working fine on Windows 8, at least on my system. Do you have the latest version of WMP Tag Plus, version 2.1?

Last time, your issue was caused by installing TaglibHandler. Did you install it again on Windows 8?

If you re-apply the .reg file that I sent you by PM the last time, and reboot, does that help?

Reply #516
Hi Tim!

I just installed WMP Tag Plus, but I'm still unable to read the file formats it adds to WMP.

In Windows Media Player:
- Tools/Plug-ins reveals a ticked box for WMP Tag Plus, however WMP still wasn't able to read a FLAC file I tested it with:
WMP cannot play the file...
- Moreover, using File/Open... doesn't return (show) .flac files in the list, however these become visible if changing the file (filtering) setting from Media files (all types) to Any file (*.*).

In File Explorer (Windows Explorer): 
for .flac files there is no Play [with WMP] command in the Context list. I manually added WMP to the Open With... list, but to no avail.

In case this is relevant, I also have foobar2000 v1.2.9 installed.

Thank you so much for your help. : )

Best regards,
Valentin

Windows Media Player 12.0.7601.17514
Windows 7 Ultimate SP1

Reply #517
From the official WMP Tag Plus homepage:

Please note that WMP Tag Plus only adds library and tagging support. Additional packages might be required to enable Windows Media Player to play the new formats:

Reply #518
Many thanks for the quick reply!

Best regards,
Valentin

Reply #519
Hi! Today I installed WMP Tag Plus 2.1 to get FLAC tags working in Media Player 12 in Windows 8 Pro 64bit with mediacenter. And I also have xiph opencodecs (0.85.17777) latest version for playing FLAC-music, but I cant get the files showing in my library. Is there any special thing I ought to do to get it working in Windows 8?

I can here the sound so thats not the issue.

Best regards Jalle64

Reply #520
In WMP, please go to Tools - Options - Plug-ins (press Ctrl+M if you don't see the Tools menu). Select the Background category, then select WMP Tag Plus and click Properties. In WMP Tag Plus settings, go to Tools, click Refresh song tags and follow the instructions. Does that help?

If not, you may need to trigger an update of WMP's library for the FLAC files to be picked up. This can be done by making a simple file change in your music folder, for example, renaming a file (you can then just rename it back to the original).

Reply #521
If not, you may need to trigger an update of WMP's library for the FLAC files to be picked up. This can be done by making a simple file change in your music folder, for example, renaming a file (you can then just rename it back to the original).
I've done the first thing to no avail. Do you mean rename a FLAC:file? (dumb question maybe)

Best regards Jalle64

Reply #522
I mean renaming any file, it doesn't matter which one (as long as it's in your music folder).

Reply #523
When I was hunting around for the registry script to move FLAC files from the others section, the first one I tried failed, but the second one with separate 64-bit registry entries (meaning a different location not a special kind of registry keys) worked.

What bitness is your Windows 8 (if they still support 32 bit)?  However seeing as you got your registry file from Tim then that probably isn't the problem.

Reply #524
There's no need to use any registry file if you install WMP Tag Plus - the installer already adds the registry entries required for WMP to recognize the new music formats. Also no need to worry about bitness then, because both the installer and WMP/WMP Tag Plus will be 32-bit.