Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Is hi fi worth it for me. (Read 3233 times) previous topic - next topic

Is hi fi worth it for me.

Looking to buy a new mid level hi fi system and / or speakers but have just done a hearing test & shocked to note I cannot hear above 11kHz ! This is not surprising since I am now a young 66 years in age. I am concerned that it will it be worth the trouble & expense if I can no longer hear the full range of frequencies available on even a basic set up?  Any advice would be appreciated.

Re: Is hi fi worth it for me.

Reply #1
An A is about 440 HZ.
Even if your hearing is limited  to 11000 Hz, you still hear a hell of a lot at least talking acoustical instruments.
IMHO HiFi is not about an extended frequency range but being true to the recording.
You don’t want to hear your gear but the music.
My hearing is probably as limited as yours as I’m only 2 years older but I can still discern between natural sounding gear and the ones that color, are bass heavy (a lot of today's shit is), distort, etc.
Life is to short to drink bad wine.
Applies to gear as well.
TheWellTemperedComputer.com

Reply #2
My hearing is no better than yours and my hifi sounds great.  Go for it!

Reply #3
Human hearing is more than the frequency range heard as solid tones. The way sound is perceived changes over time too.

The most important parts of high fidelity isn't frequency range but rather accuracy and directionality — lower harmonic distortion, the kind of coverage you want in the room, and equalization. Technology has gone a long way that you probably don't need to seek out expensive equipment for quality. Today's household PC you already have can be used as a quality DSP.

Reply #4
it depends what you call hi-fi.
the accuracy of <11kHz range matters a lot (and more than the higher frequencies IMO).
it depends on desired loudness too - higher loudness is harder to reproduce without audible distortion, distortion increases as you approach speakers power limit. especially noticeable near low end of frequency range (bass). at some point speakers have to move more than they can...
if there are linear imperfections (certain frequencies are consistently too loud in comparison to others), that's less of an issue, they can be corrected with EQ.

and yes, it's all about the moving parts. and the amplifier which simply needs to be able to output enough power without clipping. nobody makes bad DACs anymore, AFAIK.
a fan of AutoEq + Meier Crossfeed

Reply #5
Thanks to all for taking an interest & I now feel reassured to press on. I have to say that I am fully & always will be on the same page with Rosevals comments about the reproduction being true to the recording. I used to own a very good Kenwood amp, deck  etc. plus Celestion speakers, which in my humble opinion met this need perfectly. Alas, I no longer have it since I  upcycled an old HMV Radiogram to contain the Kenwood plus speakers. Very on trend but my other half refused to have it in the lounge so I donated to my son who still uses it, albeit with bluetooth add on.

Reply #6
I used to own a very good Kenwood amp, deck  etc. plus Celestion speakers, which in my humble opinion met this need perfectly.
Well, there's your recipe right there. For a paltry sum you should be able to get a couple years old similar amp and speakers, which should then last you a long time. Hearing limit of 11k is irrelevant. You'd be a spring chicken at typical bling Fi shows. Enjoy.

cheers

AJ
Loudspeaker manufacturer

Reply #7
I'm currently revisiting my system after some downtime and I'm also older. I'm learning there's more to listening than hearing. I have more time now, and that's seemingly provided me with more involvement and deeper enjoyment, for whatever that's worth. ;-)

My tastes have changed somewhat, but perhaps unlike your situation, my speakers and room haven't. However, I'm faced with downsizing and at some point I'm considering giving up my conventional two way speakers and going back to a pair of electrostatics. My concern is hearing loss; I can't listen at levels as loud as I used to, or for as long before I hear ringing afterwards. I wait until it subsides but that has been taking longer. I wonder if my Quad ESLs would be better in this regard as they have less high end and less punch in the low end?
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?  ;~)

Reply #8
I wonder if my Quad ESLs would be better in this regard as they have less high end and less punch in the low end?

Maybe
But most of all don't play FFF loud :)
TheWellTemperedComputer.com

Reply #9
I'm much younger than you, but my hearing isn't superb (born with mid-range dip).
I still enjoy Hi-Fi, not just because it reproduces high frequencies or is close to the recording, but the experience of filling a room with good audio is so much more than just frequency response. There's also me listening alone, and having people over, and being able to play music at low volume, that is still filling the room, etc.

I'd say it's more of a question whether you *like* Hi-Fi or not. If you do, and if it gives you a pleasant experience, that's enough worth to get decent quality Hi-Fi in my book.