Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Columns UI (Read 4559421 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Columns UI

Reply #7325
So I was bored and decided to checkout updates for my components and came across the columns ui homepage and noticed there's a 1.0 alpha. Holy shit! That's amazing, After reading the changelog I'm super excited for the proper release.

I read in the changelog that there's a new output device toolbar. This would be fantastic, but only if there is a way to select the output devices that appear. On my desktop system, I have 19 output devices to work with after installing the wasapi component.It's kind of tedious to work with such a list.

Either way, I frequently switch between different audio devices so I a few years ago I made these toolbar buttons to do it.

The only annoying thing is sometimes windows appends numerals to the device name if something changes and so the buttons stop working. That's not a foobar2000 problem, and it's easy enough to fix through device manager.

Reply #7326
I read in the changelog that there's a new output device toolbar. This would be fantastic, but only if there is a way to select the output devices that appear. On my desktop system, I have 19 output devices to work with after installing the wasapi component.It's kind of tedious to work with such a list.

A while ago I made a feature request for that, but it didn't get much traction.
Maybe that's for the better because it pushed me to create my own, which looks and works the way I like it:

Using the jscript panel it's quite easy to do that now, as all the necessary hooks are exposed in the fb1.4 and the latest jsp.

Reply #7327
@musicmusic : Thanks for all the work on CUI! I've tried using the latest v1.0.0 version and wanted to share a bit of feedback - in the preferences menu there a lot of space taken by the sub-headers on the page and a lot of unused space in general.

Most obvious example is the Layout page:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
- A lot of space is taken by the "Layout" text, which could be otherwise used for displaying the layout tree.
- A lot of empty space is on the right side of the layout tree (i.e. where all checkboxes are): the checkboxes could be safely moved further on the right.

And a small suggestion: is it possible to add ability to mark panels with labels in the layout tree (e.g. "Panel Stack Splitter (Library Switcher)", or "JScript Panel (Menu)")? It's getting a bit hard to organize the panels when there are a lot of them, and all their displayed names are the same...

Reply #7328
And a small suggestion: is it possible to add ability to mark panels with labels in the layout tree (e.g. "Panel Stack Splitter (Library Switcher)", or "JScript Panel (Menu)")? It's getting a bit hard to organize the panels when there are a lot of them, and all their displayed names are the same...

This! Yeah, this is indeed a bit of a small hassle. Whenever I want to change script in a certain panel I need to count from the top or bottom to get the right one after first checking the labels (it's a large tree).  Before, when it was smaller I managed by just checking which type of panel is stacked below a splitter but that no longer works well if a tree has a bunch of stacks on top of each other.

Reply #7329
@musicmusic : Thanks for all the work on CUI! I've tried using the latest v1.0.0 version and wanted to share a bit of feedback - in the preferences menu there a lot of space taken by the sub-headers on the page and a lot of unused space in general.

Most obvious example is the Layout page:
- A lot of space is taken by the "Layout" text, which could be otherwise used for displaying the layout tree.
- A lot of empty space is on the right side of the layout tree (i.e. where all checkboxes are): the checkboxes could be safely moved further on the right.
Is that your actual layout? I would expect that pushing those controls further to the right would move them further away from the items in the tree view for the majority of people, which wouldn't help usability. The layout tree view is actually slightly larger than it was in previous versions, if you still need a bigger one I'd argue that the best way to achieve that would be a resizeable preferences window (although, I accept the chances of that happening for the preferences window managed by the foobar2000 core are slim...)

I could make it display a custom title instead if one is set. (Not all splitters support custom titles for contained items, though.)

Reply #7330
Is that your actual layout?
Yep ^^

I would expect that pushing those controls further to the right would move them further away from the items in the tree view for the majority of people, which wouldn't help usability.
Yeah, didn't consider that...

The layout tree view is actually slightly larger than it was in previous versions, if you still need a bigger one I'd argue that the best way to achieve that would be a resizeable preferences window (although, I accept the chances of that happening for the preferences window managed by the foobar2000 core are slim...)
Resizable window would be really useful. May be something like additional 'layout editor' popup window, that is not bound to fb2k preferences page limitations?

I could make it display a custom title instead if one is set. (Not all splitters support custom titles for contained items, though.)
If possible I wanted the ability to add label to every panel, not just splitters. Let me illustrate this with my `awesome` MS Paint skills:

Other possible implementations: `Label` (`Panel Type`) or even only `Label` without panel type.

Reply #7331
I've tried 1.0.0 alpha 2. Not because I needed it, but just to verify nothing was broken, and I can confirm all is working well.

I don't know if you are still interested by requests, but I have 2:

The first is to Add a toolbar panel called "Menu button" (for example).
For now, if you insert toolbar panel "Menu", it will display "File Edit View etc." horizontally and I think it's a waste of space since I barely use it. I'd prefer to have a menu button called for example "Menu" and when I click on it, it would display Foobar2000 menus, like this:

Menu (and when clicked:)
-> File
-> Edit
-> View
-> etc.

The second request is very minor, and maybe you can't do anything about it since it appeared a long time ago after a Foobar2000 update: would it be possible to get rid of this tooltip in preferences page: "This is a legacy preferences page. Any changes will most likely take immediate effect regardless of OK/Cancel/Apply commands."
But it's very minor, since I go there once a year.

Reply #7332
How does Columns compare to Facets? It seems that Columns, according to this, has been updated more recently.

Reply #7333
Gné ? You don't compare the same thing. One is a complete UI, whereas other is just an element. And the release date has no value as long as it works.
But if you want to compare Facets and Filters from columns UI, then you just have to try both and decide by yourself. I personally love Filters from Columns UI.

Reply #7334
1.0.0 beta 1 is out with a few bug fixes: https://yuo.be/columns_ui

Resizable window would be really useful. May be something like additional 'layout editor' popup window, that is not bound to fb2k preferences page limitations?
Well, moving all of the CUI preferences out of there to not be bound by such limitations was a thought that crossed my mind. It probably won't happen, but some of the reasons included:

- lack of ability to resize the window
- wrong font on Windows Vista and newer
- and, yes, I don't like the forced delayed commit model

If possible I wanted the ability to add label to every panel, not just splitters. Let me illustrate this with my `awesome` MS Paint skills:

Other possible implementations: `Label` (`Panel Type`) or even only `Label` without panel type.
Unfortunately, I'm bound by the current design of the panel API. All of the data for a panel is managed by its parent panel, and I can't see trying to augment that data in Columns UI working.

So, a custom name would have to be stored in one of the current options, and hence the idea of using the custom title option. The custom title option isn't limited to splitters, it depends on the parent splitter panel supporting it for its child panels. But if Panel Stack Splitter doesn't support it, that probably doesn't make much difference for you anyway.

Reply #7335
Unfortunately, I'm bound by the current design of the panel API. All of the data for a panel is managed by its parent panel, and I can't see trying to augment that data in Columns UI working.

That's a shame... I should harass @Peter about it next :D

Reply #7336
That one's not related to @Peter :) It was just a reference to Columns UI as opposed to third-party splitter panels. Basically, if those panels are not being maintained by anyone, and there's no source code available, then we're stuck with how they work and how they interact with Columns UI (API-wise).

Reply #7337
There are incorrect window borders at the first start. When you first run foobar and after the window is minimize.
As you can see, after minimize, the borders of the window changed position, and the content took a more correct sentence. In the first picture, the border along the window edges, on the second, the star of the rating is in the middle position.
Sorry for my English.

Reply #7338
What version of Windows is that (from winver.exe)? Are you running a custom window theme?

What panels are those? What is the edge style selected? What versions of Columns UI have you tried?

Reply #7339
Quite some meta-level when the discussion of a UI configuration framework turns into the UI of the configuration page ;-)

Anyway:
I would expect that pushing those controls further to the right would move them further away from the items in the tree view for the majority of people, which wouldn't help usability.
Doesn't that suggest that they should have been on the other side? That is quite some move to make, but it might be worth just thinking over for a minute.

resizeable preferences window (although, I accept the chances of that happening for the preferences window managed by the foobar2000 core are slim...)
Stubborn users could of course try ResizeEnabler ... or is there something "more application-specific" around?

Reply #7340
What version of Windows is that (from winver.exe)? Are you running a custom window theme?

What panels are those? What is the edge style selected? What versions of Columns UI have you tried?
Windows 7 SP1. Only the Columns UI interface and the custom color in the "Colors and Fonts" settings.
Columns UI 0.4.0 - 1.0.0-beta.1 same result.
edge style - None

Reply #7341
"added date" will not be updated in "item details" when a new playlist is created. an old date will be displayed.
I use version 1.0.0 beta 1

Reply #7342
Doesn't that suggest that they should have been on the other side? That is quite some move to make, but it might be worth just thinking over for a minute.
Alas, someone looking at that preferences page for the first time should also be able to work out what is going on, which is probably already quite difficult...

Windows 7 SP1. Only the Columns UI interface and the custom color in the "Colors and Fonts" settings.
Columns UI 0.4.0 - 1.0.0-beta.1 same result.
edge style - None
I haven't been able to reproduce any misbehaviour. If you could export your Columns UI configuration to an FCL file, or send me via PM your foobar2000.cfg, I'll try to reproduce with that.

"added date" will not be updated in "item details" when a new playlist is created. an old date will be displayed.
I use version 1.0.0 beta 1
I believe the added date is the date and time that the track was added to the media library. Does the date match what is shown in Properties for the track?

Reply #7343
@musicmusic

is done. %added% returns the date and time at which track has been added to Media Library.

Reply #7344
I haven't been able to reproduce any misbehaviour. If you could export your Columns UI configuration to an FCL file, or send me via PM your foobar2000.cfg, I'll try to reproduce with that.
I just found out that another plugin (foo_resizer) with the "Lock window size" option turned on, is the cause of the incorrect position of the window edges. I apologize for the false alarm.

Reply #7345
@musicmusic: do you mind if I reuse your code for drag-drop image generation from ui_helpers in my component?

Reply #7348
i moved from cui 0.5.1 to 1.0.0 beta 1 on my portable fb2k 1.4.1 installation (and made sure to select windows 7 version in wine).

so far all is looking fine, but i can not resize any of the panels no more? it has been a while, is there a special option i should be looking for? panels are all unlocked, btw.

Reply #7349
Is the divider width set to 0? The setting is in Columns UI > Layout > Misc.