Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: How to correctly and quickly setup the foo_convolver plug-in? (Read 2366 times) previous topic - next topic

How to correctly and quickly setup the foo_convolver plug-in?

Hello Folks,
I am trying to use the foo_convolver ver 0.3 plugin to equalilze my room response.
However, I cannot find any manual for the component, nor info about the input file format and so on.

I am looking for a step by step manual, preferably, or for a quick guide.

Anyone can help me?

Many thanks to all highlighting this post to experts.
Regards,
Andrea

Reply #1
Input file is a FIR filter in wav format. You can generate such a file with Audiolense, Accourate or the free program DRC from drc-fir.sourceforge.net. Audiolense is by far the easiest to learn.

When you have your FIR filter in wav format, you simply add the Convolver DSP, uncheck auto-level and set preamp at zero. This will avoid clipping at the cost of some volume. You may want to disable replaygain.

One thing to remember is that the FIR filter must be in same sample rate as the input file. If you have multiple input sample rates, use a resampler, like the SoX resampler before the convolver.

If you decide to go further and want multi-channel correction or use the computer as an active crossover, you need another convolver, as the above is limited to 2 channels only. You can use the gapless foobar2000 convolver found somewhere on this site or ConvolverVST wrapped in foo_vst.

For a very brief intro to generating a FIR filter with Audiolense, see http://orionspeaker.mooo.com/xo.html
Process is slightly simpler for a normal stereo setup.

I can provice detailed guides for Audiolense and DRC, but they are written in Danish. If you want to try Google Translate, I can send them to you.

Reply #2
Hello SSHD, thanks a lot for your tips! All clear to me now.
By the way, to generate the WAV I used REW 5. It is a free and excellent tool.
I already tested it, following your instruction, and all works pretty fine.
Kind regards,
Andrea