Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.

Poll

What brand of CD-R's have burnt fine but died after time without any physical damage (scratches etc.) or extreme exposure to sunlight, heat etc. ?

Taiyo Yuden
[ 13 ] (5%)
Kodak
[ 11 ] (4.2%)
Ritek
[ 17 ] (6.5%)
Mitsubishi
[ 5 ] (1.9%)
Mitsui Toatsu Chemicals
[ 10 ] (3.8%)
TDK
[ 28 ] (10.7%)
Sony
[ 28 ] (10.7%)
Princo
[ 39 ] (14.9%)
CMC Magnetics
[ 62 ] (23.7%)
Other (please post)
[ 49 ] (18.7%)

Total Members Voted: 999

Topic: R.I.P. (Read 218649 times) previous topic - next topic

R.I.P.

CD-RW.org the best known place for discussing CD-R media brands has had very few users in the CD-R(W) media forum lately so I thought it would be a good idea to start a new, more accurate thread for dead CD-R media at HA whether it's a success will depend on the users.

If you have more than one brand feel free to post them all.

Use  CDR Identifier or Nero Info Tool to identify the real CD-R manufacturer also specify the CD-R manufacturer on the case, box or spindle, drive used to burn, speed, color of the CD-R & burn date would also be useful

CD-R quality can be measured using,For those who want to know what are generally reliable brands to use here is my short summary which is based on the results found here, personal experience & these forums,[span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%']Highest quality brands [/span](*)[span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%']Medium quality brands[/span]
  • Ricoh
  • RiTEK
  • SKC
  • TDK
  • Fornet
  • Prodisc
  • Mitsui Toatsu Chemicals
  • Moser Baer India
  • Multi Media Masters & Machinery
  • MPO
  • Kodak [span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'](!)[/span]
[span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%']Low quality brands[/span]
  • Sony
  • Princo
  • Gigastorage
  • Plasmon
  • CMC Magnetics
  • AMS Technologies
  • Lead Data Inc
  • NAN-YA Electronics[/color]
[span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'](*) Gold will help prevent deterioration, look for gold CD-R's[/span]

[span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'](!) Tops are reported to peel with time[/span]

[span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%']This list may change depending on future findings[/span]

DVD-R Armour is a solution for those who find DVD media too delicate (scratches easily), newer DVD-R Armour discs also provide extra UV protection.

The OSTA.org (Optical Storage Technology Association) site has some very useful information & can answer many of your CD-R questions.

R.I.P.

Reply #1
I have ~2 year old Memorex (CMC) discs that have unrecoverable C2 errors around the end of the disc.

R.I.P.

Reply #2
I once did a --rather limited-- experiment, just for fun.
I recorded a CMC CD-R with music with my LiteOn 24102B.
I left if outdoors, recorded-side up and everyday I would try to extract/play it.
It worked for 17 days, no sh*t

Maybe it was just luck, but I have stopped worrying about CD-Rs becoming useless.
I have been burning since 1998 and even the earliest CDs I have (except for some very-bad-I-don't-know-who-made-'em-old-super-green-cyanine-on-gold's) still work.
So I have survived without problems what we could call "Pio2001's curse" 
I'm the one in the picture, sitting on a giant cabbage in Mexico, circa 1978.
Reseñas de Rock en Español: www.estadogeneral.com

R.I.P.

Reply #3
/me is uploading some Plextools Pro scans now ...
The name was Plex The Ripper, not Jack The Ripper

R.I.P.

Reply #4
El-Cheapo deep-blue AZO CD-R disc (650 MB), dated 19. January 2000

Burned with Yamaha CRW-6416S

ID:    Multi Media Masters & Machinery, sold under the brand of "Network"
ATIP: 97m 28s 21f

Tasty scan IMHO ...

Another scan of a disc with the same ATIP/ID, but sold by Traxdata (Traxdata Silver), burned with the CRW-6416S as well ...

More scans to follow ...

R.I.P.

Reply #5
Hehe ...

Lead Data - AZO

97m26s50f - burned 10.10.1998 on a TEAC SCSI 4X CDR writer

R.I.P.

Reply #6
Fujfilm, but those ones were quite old (about 7 years old)

R.I.P.

Reply #8
I won't buy Princo ever again, they are all dying. Burnt with Yamaha 4260 some years ago.

R.I.P.

Reply #9
GIGA-master. Burnt five of them. Not one of them works now!

R.I.P.

Reply #10
years ago i burned a lot of PLATINUM CD-Rs. today all of them are either partially or completely unreadable. when i try to look up the manufacturer info with the nero tools, all fields are blank, so i can't say who made this pieces of shit.

-andy-

R.I.P.

Reply #11
i have some CD's that are so crappy that they don't even have any ATIP information or if they do it's unreadable!  The brand on the box is JTec
edit: they don't even have one scratch and were stored safely!
Allegari nihil et allegatum non probare, paria sunt.

R.I.P.

Reply #12
nan-ya
the caoting peeled off

R.I.P.

Reply #13
I've been using CD-R's for about five years now - have discs by HP, Kodak and Sony. None have failed so far.

I've however seen an Amkette disk which belonged to one of my friends fail... it had no scratches on it's surface.

R.I.P.

Reply #14

Taiyo Yuden!

Fujifilm CD-R's are (or were) also manufactured  by Ritek,  TDK, and last but not least, FUJI Photo Film Co., Ltd.

R.I.P.

Reply #15

Taiyo Yuden!

Fujifilm CD-R's are (or were) also manufactured  by Ritek,  TDK, and last but not least, FUJI Photo Film Co., Ltd.

Oh, I see... I thought they were all manufactured by TY.

R.I.P.

Reply #16
FujiFilm discs labeled MADE IN JAPAN are manufactured by Taiyo Yuden; if they are labeled MADE IN TAIWAN the manufacturer varies. But I've never had a FujiFilm or Taiyo Yuden disc fail.

The only "brand names" that have consistently died - from my own experience - are Memorex and Maxell. Both are reputedly much, much more reliable now... but they left such a bad impression that I am loathe to use/accept either of those brands for any reason, whatsoever.

- M.

R.I.P.

Reply #17
I've lost tons of early Ritek and CMC discs (labeled Bestmedia, Platinum, early Tevion in Germany).

Not a single TY or MCC failed on me, though - I still got those wonderful and good-looking deep-blue Verbatim Metal AZO's (up to 12x)  in my Audio CD collection ... they play fine and, apart from few scratches, no C2 errors are reported when they are scanned with either Plextools and/or K-Probe.

R.I.P.

Reply #18

Taiyo Yuden!

i don't think taiyo yuden were making fujifilm media at the time (i could be wrong, though). i have fuji media from around the same time and they are made by either fuji or TDK and both are made in japan. i have some sony taiyo yuden from like 6 years ago which don't have c2 errors. thus far i have ran into one defective fujifilm cd-r. it had small "holes" in the dye and if you hold the disc up you can see right through them.

as with other media, i've had mixed results with maxell. i have old maxells that are now almost totally unreadable and have a high c2 error rate, and i also have more recent maxell media which have no c2 errors.
Be healthy, be kind, grow rich and prosper

R.I.P.

Reply #19
IIRC, Fujifilm had made their own CD-Rs. (cyanine, green colored)

Anyway, I lost 2 Mr. Data(CMC) discs.

R.I.P.

Reply #20
IIRC, Fujifilm had made their own CD-Rs. (cyanine, green colored)

the TDK fujifilm are slightly more blue-ish. the fuji-made fujifilm is dark green while the TY ones are brighter green. fujifilm still make their own media today me thinks, but it's mainly distributed in europe. my local supermarket sells only TY fujifilm but my university bookshop sell made in germany fujifilm that are made by fuji.
Be healthy, be kind, grow rich and prosper

R.I.P.

Reply #21
My dead Fujifilm cds are dark green made by Matsushita.

R.I.P.

Reply #22
9 Dead CMCs [sold as Memorex].

R.I.P.

Reply #23
1 dead pioner CD..it got fluid inside..wierd

9 Dead CMCs [sold as Memorex].

damn i just bougth a bunch of Memorex

-- edit --

anybody know about these BAS/EMTEC CD-R's ?

ATIP: 97m 17s 06f
Disc Manufacturer: Moser Baer India Ltd.
Reflective layer:  Dye (Short strategy; e.g. Phthalocyanine)
Recording Speeds:  min. unknown - max. unknown
nominal Capacity:  702.83MB (79m 59s 74f / LBA: 359849)

-- edit --

just wnated to add more info on my dead pioner cd-r

ATIP:              97m 27s 31f
Disc Manufacturer: Pioneer Video Corp.
Reflective layer:  Dye (Long strategy; e.g. Cyanine, Azo etc.)
Recording Speeds:  min. unknown - max. unknown
nominal Capacity:  657.42MB (74m 50s 01f / LBA: 336601)

the reflective layer (greenis color) turned to fluid on a 0.5x1cm area.
if i touch the etiket side i coudl se from below the grenn fluid making movements.

the cd-r are a backup of my win98se Danish so its a couple of years old
Sven Bent - Denmark

R.I.P.

Reply #24
Hi,

I lost some cheap Memorx and Prostore (Multi Media Masters & Machinary SA) CDs. But the oldest Disk in my Collection is still alive, and in good shape. :-)

Verbatim Datalive Plus burned 1995 on Philips CDD 2000

Ciao ZYron