Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: [EAC] 100% track quality but clicks present (Read 5906 times) previous topic - next topic

[EAC] 100% track quality but clicks present

Hello!

When I'm listening to the rip of a CD I made with EAC, I can hear pops / clicks at several moments. These errors were not reported by EAC (track quality 100%), neither by Plextools. I tried to rip this CD several times but the pops remain exactly the same. I think I had this problem with other CDs but didn't notice the pops at the time I ripped them. Is it possible that this CD is a bad pressing? Is it possible that my drive (Plextor 48/24/48A) has a problem with detecting errors?

Reply #1
It could as well be possible that your CD contains music that has intentional clicks (e.g. by mixing older vinyl into the music or using older samples gathered from vinyl ... some Hip-Hop/Rap artist do that very often).

On the other hand ... sometimes flaws in the digital master tape (which can very easily manifest as clicks) pass unnoticed during transfer to glass master (used for CD manufacturing).

Are the clicks audible when you listen to the CD with your standalone CD player and some headphones ?
The name was Plex The Ripper, not Jack The Ripper

Reply #2
No, the clicks surely aren't intentional. Here is a sample: (1). Please tell me if it sounds like a scratch problem or rather like a master tape problem to you. And yes the clicks are audible on a standalone player.

Reply #3
If the clicks are audible on a standalone player, chances are very high that this is a case of improper mastering.

BTW ... with my lousy PC speakers and a quick listen, I can hear audible clicks at 2, 4 and 11 seconds.

Is this an older (the horns sound quite old - like in a 60's recording) Jazz recording (good guitar, btw) that has been digitally re-mastered (maybe by a low-budget record label) or is this a bootleg ?

Reply #4
It's the first track from the Bullit soundtrack. Copyright 1968 but I don't know when the CD was released (it proudly says "Stereo" on the cover, so it's probably not recent). The record label is Warner Bros (not really low-budget).

Reply #5
Then I would bet my money on mastering (more precisely: transfer) errors ... you'll have to live with it.

Reply #6
OK, but is it technically possible that my drive doesn't see these errors? I often rip scratched CDs like this one (yes, it is scratched) and later notice pops/clicks on listening despite EAC not reporting any errors. It is annoying to discover that you can't be 100% confident to what EAC says.

Reply #7
Your drive won't see those errors because they are not errors, they are recorded that way to the disc. Whoever mastered the disc made the errors, and you can't correct that as they are part of the waveform itself.

Reply #8
i had similiar problems with a teac-drive. the c2-error correction
wasn't working correctly. try to disable that.

Reply #10
Your drive won't see those errors because they are not errors, they are recorded that way to the disc. Whoever mastered the disc made the errors, and you can't correct that as they are part of the waveform itself.

Yes I understand this assumption, but admit that this is unlikely on such a CD. This is not a bootleg or anything like that. I'm curious to know it's theoretically possible that my drive doesn't see physiscal errors (e.g. scratches) on CDs.
I disabled C2 and ripped again but the clicks are still present.
I will try to find info on this CD on Google. If it's a mastering problem, someone else should have reported it somewhere.

Reply #11
OK, but is it technically possible that my drive doesn't see these errors? I often rip scratched CDs like this one (yes, it is scratched) and later notice pops/clicks on listening despite EAC not reporting any errors. It is annoying to discover that you can't be 100% confident to what EAC says.

This is why I loathe using EAC. I thought I would give it a test run, seeing that I can't use CDex for the time being and I clearly can't figure out what the hell I am doing wrong. I will admit I am not that fanatical about an accurate rip and maybe I haven't configured it correctly? I will look through the wiki guide and try again, but yes I fail your pain if this is the same problem.
budding I.T professional

Reply #12
If AccurateRip gives you Ripped accurately (confidence 1) or higher, you can be positive the clicks are there on the original. Another thing to test is the C1/C2 scan PlexTools. If there are no C2s reported, the clicks are there on the original.

Reply #13
>OK, but is it technically possible that my drive doesn't see these errors?
It is possible. It is also possible that your drive doesn't report them to EAC correctly, or that you have the drive configured improperly in EAC. Post your EAC drive config as well as the EAC log (using Codebox).

>It is annoying to discover that you can't be 100% confident to what EAC says.
Welcome to the club. That's why AccurateRip was written.

Reply #14
My config for EAC is here. However EAC does report errors on other CDs, so my drive should be correctly configured.
And unfortunately AccurateRip doesn't know the disc I'm ripping.

Reply #15
What is the disc / artist, perhaps a few reading this thread have it as well, and we can all rip and submit the results via accuraterip. I thik it takes a few weeks for them to get in though.

Kristian

/edit, missed above its the bullit soundtrack. Silly me. Sorry that ones not in my collection.

Reply #16
I often rip scratched CDs like this one (yes, it is scratched) and later notice pops/clicks on listening despite EAC not reporting any errors. It is annoying to discover that you can't be 100% confident to what EAC says.

Often? EAC may not be flawless, but occasions where you notice that EAC failed to report an error should be very rare. There is much more chance that your drive features aren't correctly inserted, or that the clicks/pops are also on the original CD (in that case EAC did a perfect job by perfectly copying the clicks/pops in their finest detail and in stereo  ).

Reply #17
the noises in the mp3 sound very similar to some of the surface noise I sometimes hear on my vinyl transfers... perhaps the master tapes were lost and the CD was mastered from a vinyl source?

Reply #18
Cutter wrote:
>My config for EAC is here.

That link times out on me. Why not simply copy and paste the .log into codebox here?