Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Audio players on unix-based platform? (Read 6447 times) previous topic - next topic

Audio players on unix-based platform?

Hi, everybody, i'm a newbie in both audio engineering and programming.
I've got an ibook and i've been using foobar2000 on windows for years.
i wondered if there's any audio player built for unix like foobar2000.
i've been trying to get flac files played on mac os x for months, and i've tried dozens of programs but none of them worked.
i'm thought about building one myself but because i cannot program well, so i think i should just look for awesome people's programs.
I've much to learn and i'm currently fighting against the school work.

Reply #1
The audio player I use in Linux is xmms.  There are plugins for mp3, vorbis, mpc, aac, flac, wma, etc.  It is basically a winamp clone so it is not anything like foobar2k, though.

Reply #3
I don't know of one, but I'm amazed that nobody has produced something like FB2K for *nix. It seems like exactly the kind of audio player a Linux person would set out to build and use, since it's so close to the overall Linux philosophy of modularity and simple, yet powerful specialized tools.

Reply #4
The most popular player is of course iTunes (assuming you use OS X?). For playback of lossless codecs like FLAC you could use PureMusic, although using FLACer to convert to other more supported formats is probably easier.

Reply #5
I'm hoping PureMusic will evolve into a more stable and full-featured player but I still find MacAmp Lite the best for FLAC/SHN playback, particularly if the files are archived on optical discs.

Reply #6
I'm hoping PureMusic will evolve into a more stable and full-featured player but I still find MacAmp Lite the best for FLAC/SHN playback, particularly if the files are archived on optical discs.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=261664"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yes, i've tried macamp lite on mac os x.
But the problem is that at first i use it to play flac files, it works fine, but later the program failed, and it's even unable to add any file in to the playlist.

Reply #7
Yes, i've tried macamp lite on mac os x.
But the problem is that at first i use it to play flac files, it works fine, but later the program failed, and it's even unable to add any file in to the playlist.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=261732"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

If I understand you correctly, you probably need to run:

$ rm ~/Library/Preferences/.matlx_license

and then either re-register or run as demo. You'll probably find you'll need to do this every now and then but it always does the trick.

Reply #8
Like Isaac Newton, most programmers stand on the shoulders of giants.  The player programs I use in Linux are generally dependant on already existing facilities like Gstream (audio routines) and mysql (database).  Since source code is generallly available, those could be ported over to Mac's Unix if not already there, but it makes more work and those packages  may be dependant on yet other lower level packages.

The work starts to add up as I am finding while trying to get some players working on athlon64 linux.

Reply #9
Give VideoLAN Client a go!
It supports FLAC playback...

Reply #10
Try amaroK . It supports all formats that GStreamer supports.
An eye for eye will make the whole world blind

Reply #11
You may wish to keep an eye on Musik, an iTunes-alike audio player coded with the WxWidgets toolkit so it's cross-platform.

It's early in its development, but the v0.4 release on Windows is pretty usable (the Linux version is lagging behind just a little at time of writing). The developer also notes that it compiles and runs on OSX but has a few minor issues.

Reply #12
AFAIK the only Linux-player that supports replaygain (in tags) for both OGG, MP3 (special mad-plugin) and MPC is XMMS.

Are there alternatives?

Reply #13
Musik supports mpc, flac, ape, mp3 and vorbis. The author has promised to implement replaygain when he gets it ready.

Reply #15
Why no one mention about mplayer?
Its cross-platform multimedia player too, support FLAC, WMA ,MP3, AAC, Vorbis, MPC, ALAC and ect ect...

Reply #16
amaroK is the best player I've used on any plattform - powerful, but very easy to use.
Also checkout ReplayGain http://www.kde-apps.org/content/show.php?content=26073 for reading your ReplayGain tags in amaroK and soundKonverter http://www.kde-apps.org/content/show.php?content=29024 for applying ReplayGain(I don't know if it uses track gain or album gain, what would be the best way to tell in Linux?) and transcoding between formats. Standalone app, but it includes a amarok that adds a entry under the right-click menu that makes i possible to transcode or add replaygain to files.

Reply #17
So.. from the suggestions in this post, music applications are quite KDE oriented. Nothing for GNOME?

And.. btw.. has anyone been able to listen to HE-AAC radio streams in Linux? XMMS, Totem, Beep Media Player and RythmBox don't do it for me.

Reply #18
So.. from the suggestions in this post, music applications are quite KDE oriented. Nothing for GNOME?

And.. btw.. has anyone been able to listen to HE-AAC radio streams in Linux? XMMS, Totem, Beep Media Player and RythmBox don't do it for me.
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Quod Libet is nice: [a href="http://www.sacredchao.net/quodlibet]http://www.sacredchao.net/quodlibet[/url]
Banshee might be worth a try too: http://banshee-project.org/Main_Page

As for HE-AAC, post a link to a stream that doesn't work for you, and I report back on success .

Reply #19
Some other threads: thread 1, thread 2, thread 3, thread 4.
The object of mankind lies in its highest individuals.
One must have chaos in oneself to be able to give birth to a dancing star.