Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Why does Opus convert everything to 48 kHz? Should I resample first? (Read 7053 times) previous topic - next topic

Why does Opus convert everything to 48 kHz? Should I resample first?

Hi! I wanted to know why Opus only creates output in 48kHz samle and if before converting standard CD track preprocessing the input by SoX HQ resampler will achieve better output quality than passing stream to opusenc as is.

Reply #1
You can resample if you want, but the built in resampler is already quite good.

Reply #2
I was wondering this too.
Why on earth does it re-sample everything? Looking at the spectrogram first I thought it was some stupid lowpass frequency than I realizized that the whole spectrum is compressed and naturally the top is empty because the source is 44.1 kHz. Why wouldn't it just leave it on the source frequency? I can't imagine that pointlessly converting the sampling rate results in anything other than quality loss.  (I didn't find a way to disable this behaviour)

Reply #5
To be fair, IP.Board’s own search engine isn’t optimal for quick searching, particularly because it seems to OR keywords rather than ANDing them unless you preface them all with a +; however, the built-in Google search should work much the same as a search done from Google’s site itself.