Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: CUETools v2.1.6 • Updating LibFLAC • Adding FLAC 1.3.2 (Read 7832 times) previous topic - next topic

CUETools v2.1.6 • Updating LibFLAC • Adding FLAC 1.3.2

Hello Everybody

Again, I need your assistance, and I apologize in advance where my ignorance shines through. It certainly is not through lack of reading, and trying things out on my own, first:

I use CUETools as a portable install in Windows 7 x64. Here are my questions:

1] What is the name of the the executable (dll?) which the libFLAC encoder employs? I do not see libFLAC linked to anything in the Advanced Settings. The Path, Parameters and Modes settings are not stated.

2] Where should I find the latest version of the above [1] to download- if it is in fact regularly updated?

3] I wish to upgrade to the latest FLAC version i.e. v1.3.2. I have read how to add this encoder, and while I can do the rest easily enough, I do not have the foggiest understanding of why, or how, to complete the Parameters line. Could you please help me out here by suggesting a safe and solid Parameter string that I could use- "permanently"? I tried to glean from the libFLAC settings for an example to use with FLAC v1.3.2, but as said, these are not stated in the advanced settings.

Thank you.

Re: CUETools v2.1.6 • Updating LibFLAC • Adding FLAC 1.3.2

Reply #1
1) I suppose it's CUETools.Codecs.FLAC.dll

Reply #2
The libFLAC dll is integrated into CUETools so you can't change the version. [edit]
CUETools 2.1.5 uses libFLAC v1.3.0
CUETools 2.1.6 uses libFLAC v1.3.1

You can add the FLAC exe as an external encoder.
Goto Encoders:
Click the +.

Extension: flac
Path: flac.exe (if you copy the exe to the CUETools folder) or use the full path (example: C:\FLAC v1.3.2\flac.exe)
Parameters: -%M -V - -o %O
Modes: 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Name: FLAC v1.3.2

-V is optional. CUETools has this off by default for libFLAC so you can use
Parameters: -%M - -o %O
to not use Verify.
korth

Reply #3
Thank you to you both, lvqcl and korth.

When last was the libFLAC dll updated, or where do I find such an update? Also, do I stand to gain anything meaningful by CUETools employing FLAC v1.3.2  instead of libFLAC, or is just much to do about nothing?

Korth, should I not include the padding Parameter %P to your given string, otherwise how is this taken care of?

Reply #4
http://cue.tools/wiki/CUETools_Changelog

https://xiph.org/flac/changelog.html

https://xiph.org/flac/documentation_tools_flac.html#flac_options_padding
The encoder writes a PADDING block of 8192 bytes by default (or 65536 bytes if the input audio stream is more than 20 minutes long).
This should be fine but you can add it
Parameters: -%M -P %P - -o %O
Note: wiki adjusted to clarify as optional.
korth

Reply #5
Thank you very much for your guidance, Korth! This will keep me busy for quite a while.

According to the change-log, libFLAC is still on version 1.3.1?

Reply #6
I've got a load of encoding ahead of me, and I am very worried that if I start encoding with FLAC v1.3.2 instead of libFLAC, I may only find out when it is too late that I have failed to notice an error along the way, caused by my lack of understanding of all the essential principles involved.

So far, I have tested encoding several albums with FLAC v1.3.2, employing the settings given below, and everything seems to be humming along quite nicely. When compared, the only noticeable difference is that the bit-rate of the FLAC v1.3.2 encoded file is very slightly lower (c 1kbps) than that of the libFLAC encoded counterpart. Is the latter behavior to be expected?

Is it safe to proceed using FLAC v1.3.2 with the settings below, of should I rather stick to the earlier libFLAC version, which I really really have no reason for to discard other than for it (seemingly) not having been updated as recently. I will gladly accept a later version of the libFLAC dll that came with CUETools v2.1.6, if I can find it, or is it not usually updated in conjunction with FLAC?

FLAC v1.3.2 Advanced Settings:
path: C:\FLAC132\win64\flac.exe
parameters: -%M -V - -o %O
modes: 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
name: FLAC v1.3.2

Thank you.

Reply #7
You're fine using the external encoder setup with the FLAC binary. I've been using a FLAC binary with CUETools 2.1.6 for a 'while' now and it works great.

You can get FLAC binaries compiled from the latest FLAC GIT here
https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php/topic,113391.0.html

Reply #8
Thank you NetRanger.

Reply #9
FLAC v1.3.2 Advanced Settings:
path: C:\FLAC132\win64\flac.exe
parameters: -%M -V - -o %O
modes: 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
name: FLAC v1.3.2

Looking at the parameter-settings above, which I currently employ in CUETools for FLAC 1.3.2 encoding, could someone please explain to me what some of these parameters specify? Although some are clear from reading the appropriate documentation found here: FLAC - documentation, I did not find all explained (forgive me is I missed it). For instance, why is the following characters used along with a particular parameter- and sometimes not:

1] Double-negative?

2] Percentage?

3] Why the "O" in both caps and lower case?

4] What role does the spacing between characters play i.e. is it important, or not?

Thank you.

PS. I would like to add that I had found that even with Verify enabled (-V, as in the string above), FLAC c1.3.2 encoding is a little faster than libFLAC. Disabled, the first is faster still. This is just my initial observation, and I am not certain that it holds true in all cases.

Reply #10
https://xiph.org/flac/documentation_tools_flac.html#usage
In any case, if no inputfile is specified, stdin is assumed. If only one inputfile is specified, it may be "-" for stdin. When stdin is used as input, flac will write to stdout.
If you are encoding/decoding from stdin to a file, you should use the -o option like so:
    flac [options] -o outputfile

http://cue.tools/wiki/CUETools_Advanced_Settings:_Encoders#External_encoder_options
        "-" (without the quotes) = stdin (standard input).
        %O = stdout (standard output).
        %M = inserts value from Modes.
If the mode slider is set to 6 (see pic) same as
-6 -V {stdin} -o {stdout outputfile}
korth

Reply #11
Thank you once again, Korth.

Does the %-character means to insert the value that follows immediately after it? I do not find a reference to it displayed under the FLAC Option-Index. Also, is the -V option recommended to use- even though it is a parameter not specified by libFLAC? How does one determine that the V-option is necessary? Test runs?

Reply #12
%M and %O are placeholders used by CUETools to insert a value. See the CUETools link above as a reference.

Verify checks the decoded output against the original, but that takes a little longer.
You can turn Verify on for libFLAC in CUETools. It is just off by default. 
korth

Reply #13
Done, thank you. All going well.