Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: playing ripped mp3 files in car shows band as "unknown" (Read 1368 times) previous topic - next topic

playing ripped mp3 files in car shows band as "unknown"

Ripped a few cds with eac.  put the whole album folders on my phone and played in the car via bluetooth.  The track number and title came up but the band showed as unknown.  Any way to get the band title to show up?  I'm using Samsung music app on the phone and am open to suggestions for better ones - simple preferred.

Re: playing ripped mp3 files in car shows band as "unknown"

Reply #1
There are at least two ways to convey track information to a player, one being in the form of tag metadata within the MP3 file itself, the other by naming the file to something appropriate.

Then there's the question of where the information comes from.  Some CDs carry "CD text", which the ripper can interrogate and use (typically) to set the track filename appropriately.

When there is no CD text, the user has to enter the information manually, or the ripper can access a third-party enthusiast on-line database to try to identify the CD and download the track information (if the CD can be positively identified, and if somebody has contributed the metadata for it).

All these things can be configured in EAC, but if any of it does not produce the desired results you'll need to edit it in manually.  Tags can be manipulated in FB2K of course, but the best tool (IMO) is MP3Tag.

PS: in the tag world, "band" is known as "artist".
It's your privilege to disagree, but that doesn't make you right and me wrong.

Reply #2
You might have a look at Foobar Mobile. It served me fine for years when using a relatively small MP3 collection (< 200 GB). The day I moved to a 1 TB and loaded it with FLAC, Foobar Mobile had troubles to detect albums properly so I ditched it.

A simple solution is using media players like Foobar or Musicbee. Check your tags, especially if Album Artist is populated.
TheWellTemperedComputer.com

Reply #3
Check your tags, especially if Album Artist is populated.

As Roseval said, 'Album Artist' may be expected. If you are using 'Add ID3 tag' in EAC then TPE2 won't be created if 'CD Performer' is blank in the main window. You could try copying the field in 'CD Artist' and pasting to 'CD Performer', rip a few tracks and see if BAND shows up on the player.
korth

Reply #4
I put the artist in all three visible fields, CD artist, CD performer, and CD composer and my phone player and auto player both show unknown for the artist.  Must be something with my command line or other selections.  Probably need to add something to the command line options or ID3 tag tab but I'm a bit lost on what to add.  Here's my current settings.

What's typical to use for general compatibility?  Should I check cover image to ID3V2 tag for example?

Reply #5
As you already have 'Add ID3 tag' checked, I'd start with checking
Code: [Select]
Write ID3v2 tags, using a padding of 4 kB
If the built-in 'Add ID3 tag' doesn't work out to be what you need, then you can move on to custom tagging via the 'Additional command-line options'.

If you want the cover saved to the tags, check
Code: [Select]
Add cover image to ID3V2 tag
If you have 'Add ID3 tag' checked, 'Write ID3v2 tags' must also be checked for this setting to work.
Note: The above setting affects both External Compression and Additional External Compression encoders whether 'Add ID3 tag' is checked or not (see https://wiki.hydrogenaud.io/index.php?title=EAC_Compression_Options#ID3_Tag)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
korth

Reply #6
I put the artist in all three visible fields, CD artist, CD performer, and CD composer and my phone player and auto player both show unknown for the artist.
Okay... but what does FB2K or MP3Tag say about it?  What if the player only responds to track artist?

Why are neither of the "Write ID3 tag" boxes ticked?
It's your privilege to disagree, but that doesn't make you right and me wrong.

Reply #7
Checking the ID3v2 tags made things work as expected.  Added the cover art too and that shows up too.  :)  Thanks!
Any point in putting artist into performer or composer box too?  That doesn't happen automatically so would be some extra steps.

Reply #8
Not if your player didn't need them.
I do suggest filling the 'CD Performer' field on 'Various Artists' compilation rips though.
You can use either 'Various Artists' or the primary Artist name.

Slightly off-topic:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
korth

Reply #9
Ok.  I do have one cd (commercial cd not one that I put together) that is various artists and EAC puts "Various Artists" in the artist field but not the performer field.  Any way to automate copying artist to performer field?

Reply #10
You can write 'CD Artist' to 'album artist' always for all files using the 'Additional command-line options' instead of 'Use ID3 tags'
see Example 2 in the Spoiler of Reply #5 (the cover addition in Example 4 needs to be added before %source%)
korth