Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Weird Noises from computer hardware in capture (Read 2500 times) previous topic - next topic

Weird Noises from computer hardware in capture

I just built a new machine and have been using it to record gameplay footage and audio for youtube. I bought a turtlebeach headset the X12 for voice capture and well being able to hear as well.

The problem im having is that theres some sort of electrical noise that i can hear in the headphones when i have the sound all the way up, and i can make it change when i move around my mouse, which is USB, but unplugging it doesnt stop it. When i record, this sound is being captured by Bandicam, so, idk whats going on. ive tried a different PSU and nothing is different im wondering if an external sound card would get rid of this problem but, i dont see how it would if its caused by the USB part of my MOBO itself, idk... any help would be appreciated.

i7 3700k
asus sabertooth z77
logitech g9x
razer black widow
evga 670 gtx

Reply #1
It doesnt happen with my headset plugged into any other machine, and also, when i use something else to power the headset, i cant get it to do it. so it has something to do with the USB port powering the headset. i think. Also, if i  use the computer to power the headset but stick the stereo jack into my phone i dont hear it, and if i plug the usb into another machine or staright into the wall using a usb to wall jack it doesnt do it, so im not sure whats going on.

it sounds like an old school printer going really quietly.

Reply #2
It doesnt happen with my headset plugged into any other machine, and also, when i use something else to power the headset, i cant get it to do it. so it has something to do with the USB port powering the headset. i think. Also, if i  use the computer to power the headset but stick the stereo jack into my phone i dont hear it, and if i plug the usb into another machine or staright into the wall using a usb to wall jack it doesnt do it, so im not sure whats going on.

it sounds like an old school printer going really quietly.

Not uncommon, many possible sources.

Probably the easiest approach might be to power the headset with an external USB power supply, which can be obtained pretty inexpensively if you shop around.

Reply #3
This problem can be caused by a (quite common) ground loop issue, originating from the redundant connection between the audio ground and USB ground at the computer case front panel. Read more about it here: http://www.downtowndougbrown.com/2012/01/a...terference-fix/

Reply #4
When I had noise related to mouse pointer movement it was dirty power, I think from the video.  It stopped when I stopped powering the (analog connection) speakers from a 12v socket on the computer and got a separate supply.