Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: foo_input_dts.dll constantly being deleted by Antivirus software (Read 1962 times) previous topic - next topic

foo_input_dts.dll constantly being deleted by Antivirus software

On my home computer, my Anti-virus has been deleting foo_input_dts.dll, even when I tell it to restore the file and leave it alone, it will eventually ding it again. My home system tags it as a reputation thing, essentially claiming that there are so few users using that file, it must be a virus.

I've had this problem on my home system for a while, and I can get around it, but now my work computer (where I have no control over the anti-virus software) has decided it's malware and I can't even reinstall it. The software at work flags it as Gen:Variant.Razy.361336 - whatever that means.

Any insight would be helpful.

Re: foo_input_dts.dll constantly being deleted by Antivirus software

Reply #2
@kode54: You only tested the .fb2k-component file. The .dll does unfortunately get some false positives, even among major suppliers.
https://www.virustotal.com/#/file/6d56184432db1a942d2b3399e00120274601ce0d297dc8f1832f63fba70c66b2/detection

Reply #3
Apparently, I shouldn't be enabling debugging info in my releases, even though it's the only way to trace crashes from user crash logs, other than rebuilding a local copy with debugging info, then manually adding code offsets to the load address and tracing in a debugger.

Reply #4
I'm deleting the component from everywhere it's published. Clearly, Peter needs to add his own DTS support to the application, using FFMPEG, and clearly, it will be better than anything I can offer.

Reply #5
Why delete? Does it do any harm except an odd question now and then?

Reply #6
It is a false positive that I have no idea how to solve, because I'm not a member of the antivirus cartel.

Reply #8
You solve false positive issues by reporting them to the anti-virus company that makes the mistake. In this case most of the hits come from Bitdefender engine.

Reply #9
I for one will definitely keep it around unless, like you say, really some better solution becomes available.
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is.

Reply #10
I don't even know how to report false positives to Bitdefender. I'll get right on that.

E: Well, I'll get on it when I have my dev machine up and running again.

Reply #11
Why should you have to remove your component just because anti-virus software doesn't know what it's doing?

Reply #12
I was just being overly dramatic, is all. It's back up, with the same description. And apparently, someone has already submitted it to Bitdefender as a false positive, as it's only popping up in some obscure anti-virus software that don't really provide a mechanism for reporting false positives.