Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: [Suggestions / Wishlists] for future updates (Read 141673 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: [Suggestions / Wishlists] for future updates

Reply #75
^ @fzanuzzo You can modify a Windows shortcut to start minimized -

foobar2000.exe /hide

(See other command line options)

Reply #76
"Open Containing Folder" for .RAR .ZIP files opens the Compressed file Directory. instead of being Disabled Altogether.

Wouldn't that be the expected behavior, to allow opening the directory the compressed archive is contained within?

Reply #77
FEATURE REQUEST 1 (simple): In addition to front, back, artist, icon and disc I would also like to be able to display composer image in the album art viewer. I believe that adding this feature will make foobar, which already is very classical music friendly due to its customizability, even more so.

FEATURE REQUEST 2 (more complicated): I would like to be able to swap out the default seekbar in the toolbar for a waveform seekbar. Or at least the option to customize or remove the toolbar. I don't find the default seekbar very useful without some kind of preview.
Hhhmmmm Croissants.....

Reply #78
"High Quality" external DACs are usually fidgety pieces of crap, riddled with their own issues. You've just listed off so many Wrong Things that could equally stand to have broken your audio processing chain.
Not to dredge up an old post and maybe this isn't the place to discuss this.
But as someone who's currently looking out for an external dac and amp I would appreciate it if you could elaborate on that statement. I'm currently under the belief that you pretty much need an external DAC to get any kind of decent audio signal without electrical interference from your PC. It seems like you're suggesting that isn't the case?
If this isn't the place for this then I'd be happy to talk via PM.
Hhhmmmm Croissants.....

Reply #79
A separate public topic may also be useful, as other users may have better, more useful input than I can offer. All I can offer is that most ICH6 and newer class HD Audio codecs, and most decent USB audio devices, should be fairly well isolated from any PC line noise. You're welcome to test for noise with whatever hardware you already have, though. I suggest trying a loopback cable from speaker/headphone output to the line input, and using RMAA to benchmark the device, before drawing any conclusions about whether you really need a dedicated external DAC.

Quick anecdote: In fact, the last dedicated sound card I bought, an Asus Xonar DX, had *worse* noise isolation on its front panel connector output than my onboard audio did, and even my current onboard audio has. The onboard produced no audible noise on the front panel connector, while the Xonar produced audible noise triggered by most CPU or IO activity, even moving my mouse around. Although now, I use a USB microphone, a Blue Yeti, as my output device, and I just disable the microphone's internal monitoring mode, which is as simple as muting the microphone volume level on the audio output device.

Reply #80
FEATURE REQUEST 2 (more complicated): I would like to be able to swap out the default seekbar in the toolbar for a waveform seekbar. Or at least the option to customize or remove the toolbar. I don't find the default seekbar very useful without some kind of preview.

Check out the Waveform Minibar component, it's exactly what you are asking for.

https://www.foobar2000.org/components/view/foo_wave_minibar_mod

Reply #81
1. Is it possible to add links in to the artist library as Audirvana? For example when I click on "The Beatles" it will show me everything from them. I don't expect to see something like Roon with full hypertext but something simple.

2. Also I want to see the "album list" panel to be interactive with the playlist and with Facets if possible. I want to have something like Roon or Jriver with the artwork covering most of my screen. But I can't achieve it. The album list panel is static. I can browse but no artwork shown unless I choose to play the file. I want something like Facets.

Reply #82

As a matter of fact, I'm already using waveform minibar. But it can't be placed literally IN the toolbar. I just don't like that the toolbar takes up so much seemingly useless space.

And not to start a whole discussion about components. But I doubt whether I'm even going to continue using waveform mini seekbar. Because I can't get my subtle music (lute works, polyphonic music etc.) to display properly if I make the waveform too narrow.
It ends up just being a thin line with some blocks sticking out here and there. I guess that stuff isn't loud enough to produce a large waveform.
Hhhmmmm Croissants.....

Reply #83
I want to have something like Roon or Jriver with the artwork covering most of my screen. But I can't achieve it. The album list panel is static. I can browse but no artwork shown unless I choose to play the file. I want something like Facets.
In facets you can hold down ctrl and scroll to enlarge or decrease the album display size. And in File - Preferences - Display there's an option to "prefer current selection" this will display the info + art of the album you've selected instead of the one you're playing.

Hope that helps.
Hhhmmmm Croissants.....

Reply #84

As a matter of fact, I'm already using waveform minibar. But it can't be placed literally IN the toolbar. I just don't like that the toolbar takes up so much seemingly useless space.

And not to start a whole discussion about components. But I doubt whether I'm even going to continue using waveform mini seekbar. Because I can't get my subtle music (lute works, polyphonic music etc.) to display properly if I make the waveform too narrow.
It ends up just being a thin line with some blocks sticking out here and there. I guess that stuff isn't loud enough to produce a large waveform.

If you don't like it, you don't like it, that's fine. If you want a more visible waveform, you just need to select "Waveform Scale: Normalize", and check the "dB Scale" box in the prefs. Chunky as you like!

Reply #85
I want to have something like Roon or Jriver with the artwork covering most of my screen. But I can't achieve it. The album list panel is static. I can browse but no artwork shown unless I choose to play the file. I want something like Facets.
In facets you can hold down ctrl and scroll to enlarge or decrease the album display size. And in File - Preferences - Display there's an option to "prefer current selection" this will display the info + art of the album you've selected instead of the one you're playing.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for your reply. I know that but it's not what I want. I want to keep my screen clean from everything and right now I have Facets installed with 4 columns. 3 with text filters and one with artwork. That's the top half. The bottom is the Playlist. But the first 3 columns can be replaced easily with the Album List Panel and the filters that it has. So when I choose "Rock" Genre I could have everything showed with full artwork without select it. I'll show what I mean with Screens.

The back is my current setup and the scratchbox what I want. I want in the empty space to have the albums that I select from the album list panel.

Reply #86
1. Is it possible to add links in to the artist library as Audirvana? For example when I click on "The Beatles" it will show me everything from them. I don't expect to see something like Roon with full hypertext but something simple.
check here: https://www.foobar2000.org/components/view/foo_quicksearch
* Configurable "Search for same .... " context menus.

Reply #87
Selection Properties: Word-wrap long metadata fields to multiple lines and avoid showing the horizontal scrollbar to make reading easier and conserve vertical space. Max length of the display is already limited to conservative 500 characters.

Selection Properties: Do not flash the display contents when alt-tabbing to another window (as if the current selection was cleared). This is distracting, does not happen with other software, and can sometimes result in wrong information being copied or retyped from Properties, when it has switched to the currently playing track by itself. Maybe it is possible to allow a list control set a new selection or explcitly clear it by clicking on a blank space but, until that happens, rememember the previous selection.

Media Library: Optional OK/Enter button for starting search in Album List. Do not begin unnecessary search when typing slowly or with a mistake.

Metadata: Autocomplete multiple artists after a semicolon. Autocomplete artists by their last name as well as beginning of the string. Advanced settings could have a list of fields for which to do this. Perhaps it is useful for other fields (for typed 'rock' I'd get all variations of rock, e.g. blues rock, but no need under %label%). Maybe the word after the last space is enough. This is to make entering songwriters with only an initial, two-letter initial or only the last name consistent.

Binary Comparator: Run at below normal priority. Show difference in decibels too to make interpreting of small values more intuitive. Maybe calculate RMS power too to allow estimation of the average difference without opening a wave editor.

Reply #88
Ability to display all fields that are not empty in UI element "Selection Properties". Currently not empty fields are displayed only if they are set as standard fields.

Reply #89
If you want a more visible waveform, you just need to select "Waveform Scale: Normalize", and check the "dB Scale" box in the prefs. Chunky as you like!

Sorry for the late reply. THANK YOU! This was exactly what I wanted.
I had overlooked the waveform options because they were hidden under tools. Now I can even customize the colours.
Needless to say I will be using waveform minibar now! Thank you again!
Hhhmmmm Croissants.....

Reply #92
check here: https://www.foobar2000.org/components/view/foo_quicksearch
* Configurable "Search for same .... " context menus.

I have the facets search which is excellent. But I would like something more fancy.

But my main complain is the interactive album list. Apart from that nothing more right now.

Reply #93
Hey @koupa  :)
2. Also I want to see the "album list" panel to be interactive with the playlist and with Facets if possible. I want to have something like Roon or Jriver with the artwork covering most of my screen. But I can't achieve it. The album list panel is static. I can browse but no artwork shown unless I choose to play the file. I want something like Facets.
You can do something like this already with either Facets or EsPlaylist and using the Library Viewer Selection playlist. (Under Preferences > Media Library > 'Library Viewer Selection' > tick 'Enabled' and 'Activate')

With Facets, just setup a single 'Album' column, set the toolbar source button to 'Playlist' mode, and right-click column header > Display > Album Art. (Can also remove the toolbar completely in Layout Editing Mode)

With EsPlaylist, it takes a bit more setting up, but can also remove the column headers as well for a cleaner look. Basically just copy the settings this guy is using - see the comments for screenshots. (Can also change which titles are displayed next to cover art in Preferences > Tools > EsPlaylist > Grouping tab > 'Album' preset > click %album% and Edit button)

Either way when you click anything in Album List you will see all the cover art for that branch. There is a slight behavior difference - EsPlaylist will highlight the playing album, and queue the whole album for playback when double-clicking a cover (so need to click play / in the playlist for 'shuffle' playback).

Reply #94
Hey @Le Croissant  :)
FEATURE REQUEST 2 (more complicated): [...] Or at least the option to customize or remove the toolbar.
You can with a right-click > Customize Buttons, etc. (Cannot remove the menu bar, though)

As a matter of fact, I'm already using waveform minibar. But it can't be placed literally IN the toolbar.
You can fake it. :D In View > Layout > Layout editing / Scratchbox, add a second toolbar row with a [Splitter] 'Toolbar Header' [Splitter] 'Waveform' [Splitter] and another 'Toolbar Header'. Handy if you want the toolbars somewhere other than the top of your layout. (Although I guess that would be adding more space in addition to the menu bar)

Cheers

Reply #95
Hey @koupa  :)
You can do something like this already with either Facets or EsPlaylist and using the Library Viewer Selection playlist. (Under Preferences > Media Library > 'Library Viewer Selection' > tick 'Enabled' and 'Activate')

With Facets, just setup a single 'Album' column, set the toolbar source button to 'Playlist' mode, and right-click column header > Display > Album Art. (Can also remove the toolbar completely in Layout Editing Mode)

With EsPlaylist, it takes a bit more setting up, but can also remove the column headers as well for a cleaner look. Basically just copy the settings this guy is using - see the comments for screenshots. (Can also change which titles are displayed next to cover art in Preferences > Tools > EsPlaylist > Grouping tab > 'Album' preset > click %album% and Edit button)

Either way when you click anything in Album List you will see all the cover art for that branch. There is a slight behavior difference - EsPlaylist will highlight the playing album, and queue the whole album for playback when double-clicking a cover (so need to click play / in the playlist for 'shuffle' playback).

You are my GOD!!! Thank you. That's all I need.

Reply #96
If decoder gives no info about channel mapping than suggest that 5 channels are FL FR FC SL SR and 6 channels are FL FR FC LFE LS RS. Currently fb2k suggests that this are FL FR FC LR RR and FL FR FC LFE LR RR respectively.
But standard channel mapping for 5.0 and 5.1 use SIDE channels, not rear/back. See "Note 3" in column "5.0 side"'s header- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surround_sound#Standard_speaker_channels.  Also see here - https://www.thx.com/faq/#set-5-1-surround-sound-speakers
Also DTS-HD Master Audio Suite has only variant with SIDE channels for 5.0/5.1

According to the same sources (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surround_sound#Standard_speaker_channels , https://www.thx.com/faq/#set-7-1-surround-sound-speakers): for 8 channels in case of unknown channel mapping suggest FL FR FC LFE RL RR SL SR, instead of currently suggested FL FR FC LFE RL RR FCL FCR; for 7 channels - FL FR FC LFE RC SL SR (or maybe FL FR FC RR RL SL SR ) instead of FL FR LFE RL RR FCL FCR

Add an additional EJECT Button to the "Open Audio CD" Dialogue

Reply #97
Hi,

I'd like to have an easy reachable button to ejcet the CD/DVD-Drive, which is focussed in this window.

Click here: f2k->File->Open Audio CD...

Cheers!

Reply #98
Hey Peter,

Would it be possible to please add an option to the Tabs container to disable the scroll buttons and allow them to stack vertically? (Same as the Playlist Tabs currently do when there are too many). I would love to make a layout with narrow spaced Tabs stacked on top of each other, with the active one always moving to the bottom, but this is currently impossible due to the forced scroll buttons. A simple right-click option, per each set of Tabs, would be great. <3

(I suppose it can be done in CUI or SMP - I'm not sure, but honestly it would be so easy in DUI and open up so many additional layout possibilities!)

Thank you for your continued efforts on the foobar and I hope this thread is not bugging you too much. ;)

Reply #99
The one feature or component I want added to foobar more than anything is album ratings.

It's something I used to do in customdb before that component made foobar totally unusable. While track ratings are great for just keeping track of songs or making autoplaylists (and using spider monkey panel for ratings gives you more options), I prefer to keep track of albums as a whole without altering the tags. There are outside sources to do this like rateyourmusic or self-hosted options like ampache, but it'd be great to have everything in one place.