Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: [Suggestions / Wishlists] for future updates (Read 141650 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: [Suggestions / Wishlists] for future updates

Reply #175
Peter, any chance you could make the window saying "No updates available" something more this size?
Also can the up and down arrows and the blinking cursor be removed as they're not required?

Reply #176
Would it be possible to support an option to prevent auto-populating "Various Artists" into ALBUM ARTIST just because  ITUNESCOMPILATION is present?   Carlos G explained the reason in an old thread pretty well, and is the exact issue I've been fighting with for years now:

"foobar2000 links the iTunes ITUNESCOMPILATION tag to the ALBUM ARTIST tag.  When an ITUNESCOMPILATION tag is found in a file, foobar2000 treats it as if ALBUM ARTIST was set to "Various Artists".  If an ALBUM ARTIST tag is found, ITUNESCOMPILATION will be ignored.

In iTunes if  ITUNESCOMPILATION is set to '1' on an album of songs with multiple artists and leave the ALBUM ARTIST empty, then iTunes organizes those songs under "Compilations" in the Library, the File System, and your iPod or iPhone.
Forcing "Various Artists" into ALBUM ARTIST will sort them under "V" instead of at the bottom.
And I may have albums in different languages. Some may be in English, but the ones that are not. I don't want them to say "Various Artists" in English.

So, I think the best way to address this is to let the user set the string to use for "Various Artist". That way some can leave it empty and others use "Various Artist" or anything else."

Reply #177
Hello, thank you for your player, it's marvelous.

It would be handy to add options to replaygain:
- Threshold for ignoring replaygain differences under xx db (for example from -0,99 to 0,99dB)
- Omitting replaygain for files stored in concrete folder (for example D:\Music\Classical)
- Add options for applying track gain instead of album (for example when %album_artist% = 'Various')

Thank you in advance.

Reply #178
. doublepost

Reply #180
Would it be possible to support an option to prevent auto-populating "Various Artists" into ALBUM ARTIST just because  ITUNESCOMPILATION is present?   Carlos G explained the reason in an old thread pretty well, and is the exact issue I've been fighting with for years now:

"foobar2000 links the iTunes ITUNESCOMPILATION tag to the ALBUM ARTIST tag.  When an ITUNESCOMPILATION tag is found in a file, foobar2000 treats it as if ALBUM ARTIST was set to "Various Artists".  If an ALBUM ARTIST tag is found, ITUNESCOMPILATION will be ignored.

In iTunes if  ITUNESCOMPILATION is set to '1' on an album of songs with multiple artists and leave the ALBUM ARTIST empty, then iTunes organizes those songs under "Compilations" in the Library, the File System, and your iPod or iPhone.
Forcing "Various Artists" into ALBUM ARTIST will sort them under "V" instead of at the bottom.
And I may have albums in different languages. Some may be in English, but the ones that are not. I don't want them to say "Various Artists" in English.

So, I think the best way to address this is to let the user set the string to use for "Various Artist". That way some can leave it empty and others use "Various Artist" or anything else."

Then you're forcing everyone who relies on the presence of %album artist% to change their scripts to detect yet another standard tag. A tag we don't currently allow anyone to change directly.

Reply #181
I miss these options in foobar2000 without prohibited plugins:
- Pause on mute + Resume after unmute (if I have a call, I just click mute, so all the sounds in the system are muted, and it is nice when the player pauses itself to continue from the moment when I stopped listening to the music).
- Pause on telephone call + Resume after call ends.

Also, tray icon could be improved significantly:
- Play/Pause on middle click on the tray icon. 7 Taskbar Tweaker allows to add similar feature to standard Sound Volume icon (mute on middle click).
- Right click on the tray icon should hide foobar2000 from taskbar. If a user wants to have a fb2k button on taskar, they would click on the fb2k button in the taskbar (to minimize/restore). So, right click on the tray icon should minimize to system tray and restore from system tray.
- Different player states (Stopped, Paused, Playing) could be reflected in the tray icon. For example:

If it is required, I can draw icons with similar Pause and Playing symbols on them based on current foobar2000 icon.

Reply #182
Hi @trelain

What if you just use a custom library view pattern, replacing %album artist% with -

Code: [Select]
$ifequal(%itunescompilation%,1,Compilations,%album artist%)

^ That would put them under "Compilations"

Cheers

Reply #183

Then you're forcing everyone who relies on the presence of %album artist% to change their scripts to detect yet another standard tag. A tag we don't currently allow anyone to change directly.
Not understanding that comment - from what I see Album Artist is able to be changed to whatever you want it to be in Properties, except that when you try to remove the tag, it forces "Various Artists" into it just because ITUNESCOMPILATION is populated.   Couldn't a config option default to how it behaves today, so users who don't want this behavior wouldn't have to change their scripts?  

Reply #184

What if you just use a custom library view pattern, replacing %album artist% with -

Code: [Select]
$ifequal(%itunescompilation%,1,Compilations,%album artist%)

^ That would put them under "Compilations"
Thanks but I'm not sure that would prevent %album artist% from being auto-populated by FB2K, would it?   The issue is that the tag is populated at all which causes iTunes to put all compilation albums under an Artist called "Various Artists".    This prevents each artist that contributed something to the album from showing up in the Artists list.   When the Album Artist tag is absent, the ITUNESCOMPILATION tag keeps the album under "Compilations" and the Artists view displays each artist in the Artist view, containing songs from their own albums and also just their songs from the compilation albums, presumably based on the %artist% tag.   This renders an %album artist% tag containing "Various Artists" useless and bothersome, at least in iTunes.

Reply #185
Tag update progress bar in Properties window

Currently (beta 19) when updating tags, the progress bar window looks terrible. A large window with a small update progress bar in the middle of the window. Peter, how could you do such a terrible thing?  :'(  :'(  :'(

Maybe it would be possible to do so that when you updating tags return to the Properties window and place the progress bar at the bottom of the Properties window. Something like that the sketch below.

Reply #186
Tag update progress bar in Properties window
[...]
A large window with a small update progress bar in the middle of the window.
I agree that it looks strangely odd, but for me, the new "layout" shows, that there is nothing to do but wait until its finished. In a very unambiguous way. I like it.
Some ppl would say, now there is room to show an animated image of a dancing cat, while the updating processes :-}

Reply #187
but for me, the new "layout" shows, that there is nothing to do but wait until its finished.
But that's not true. The progress bar is not modal and you can do whatever you like, while the update is in progress.

Reply #188
but for me, the new "layout" shows, that there is nothing to do but wait until its finished.
But that's not true. The progress bar is not modal and you can do whatever you like, while the update is in progress.
Yeah, sorry for confusion! I just meant, I can sit, relax and meditate on the progress bar 8-)

Its great now to move the processing window somewhere on the screen and continuin work. Thats a huge win compared to the older "stuck" window!!

SAVE/LOAD option for the Automatically Fill Values Window

Reply #189
Can we please have a SAVE option for the Automatically Fill Values Window ?

It now can only save the last 10 usersettings, which will never contain the important ones. (I does not save those hardly set up settings all the time in my years of using it. I'm always missing some settings, which I'm sure I have used before.)

A preset saving button would be awesome, like in masstagger. Please see attached screenshot for Mockup.

It would save special occasion scripts as well as everyday used ones.

No more clicking between sources and patterns. Just load a saved preset and voilá!

Reply #190
Alt-Enter edits properties of selected song.  It's annoying that Alt-DoubleClick doesn't do the same, but just goes and plays the song as regular DoubleClick.  It would be nice that behaviour of Alt-DoubleClick changes to mimic Alt-Enter.
Thanks.

Reply #192
A preset saving button would be awesome, like in masstagger.
Well you could just save a preset in Masstagger: 'Guess values from filename / other fields' (same thing) ...
Well...I have about 30 presets in Masstagger concerting the "guess" function of Masstagger. (I hardly use 5-8 of them most of the time)

For me, I find it more convenient/intuitive to use the Automatically Fill Values Window, because of its "realtime/WYSIWYG" preview. (Masstagger has a previe too, but its not realtime/WYSIWYG).

It woulb be great and a huge enhancement to the Automatically Fill Values Window if the saved presets of Masstagger could be uses, OR, if it would save its own presets, as I asked above.

REQ: Preserve file time in properties window

Reply #193
Today I like to request to move "Preserve file time" from Preferences --> Advanced --> Tagging direct to the properties window.

Hopefully someone else (especially Peter ;) ) would like it, too.

Reply #194
Today I like to request to move "Preserve file time" from Preferences --> Advanced --> Tagging direct to the properties window.
IMHO this is a timesaver aka very useful!
I often switch that setting, because on some folders, I'd "need" to keep the filedate, on others it's more important to retrace when a file was changed the last time.

How to spot & differ f2k core funtions from 3rd party ones ?

Reply #195
Today (and many days before...)
I had difficulties to recognize if some functions/options/menu entries are core f2k or from a somewhen installed component (be it 1st or 3rd part).

For me, it is so difficult to differ (and remember) which ones of the huge amounts of menu entries are from f2k itself and which are from components.
I'm using f2k since the dawn of mankind but it was/is never obvious to me, am I using core or component funtions?, because of the wonderful integration of the components into f2k. Its a great userexperience!

I'd like to propose a somekind visually improvement to f2k, when pressing, say, a special hotkey like SHIFT and walking through all the f2k menues.

ATM, there is such a useful enhancement, when you press SHIFT, you can see some menu entries, which are hidden by default.

IMHO, it would be useful too, if we had a(nother similar or same?) shortcut which will
colour menu entries in a slightly lighter/darker color,
so we can easily see, which parts of a contextual menu are from f2k itself, or offered by a component?
(Or any other indication, I'm open to that)

I have made a mockup, which might explain it a little more.
The menu shows those entries, which are from (later installed) components in another colour.

I'll surely help me to not post 3rd party component questions into the wrong forum, which I did a lot if times... :)

Btw: a useful little helper is foo_whatsnew.dll but If you don't use a component every day, you'll maybe forget about their contextual menu entries and where they are... and foo_whatsnew only shows differences for the last start of f2k.

Reply #196
Please consider the following Playlist "Save" actions...
1. When Playlist Tab / right-click / Save playlist... please populate "File name" field and a default file format.
   *. Allow ctrl-click on "Save" in the above to bypass the "already exists..." prompt.
2. When Playlist Tab or Tabbar / right-click / Save all playlists... please allow a default directory and file format to be specified.
   *. Allow ctrl-click on the above to bypass any prompts. 

Reply #197
It would be great to be able to edit properties of one song while listening to another without using the mouse: Now I can go with Ctrl-Dwn but Alt-Enter will edit current playing song instead. It's also confusing to press Alt-Enter for properties, but F2 to edit. Both keywords should allow to edit/ show properties (Pressing F2 on playlist can be programmed to show properties), but pressing Alt-Enter on song properties can't to allow to edit a song title.

Reply #198
Alt-Enter will edit current playing song instead

That's a default setting, but you can change it in the keyboard shortcuts preferences section. When assigning a context menu command to a key sequence, you can define whether you want the context to be the playlist selection or the playing track.
I'm late

Reply #199
Hi,

It would be nice to assist the user in his lazyness and add the following function to the newly introduced

Properties Window -> Artwork Tab - Export to File

Enhancement a1)
Please, automatically add a filename (i.e. the filename of the track that had being selected), so the user does not need to type a name when exporting coverart.

Enhancement a2)
Add a suffic to the new filename, i.e. -artist, -disc, -backcover, -icon,
so the resulting filename would be, i.e. fooster - foomans rap-front.jpg, when the filename is fooster - foomans rap.mp3.

When more files are selected in the Properties Window, just take the first one.
This enhancement should only decrease the hard work the user has to type in a name manually ;-)

I assume, if several files from several folders are selected, f2k will write the file in the corresponding folder.