Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Help identifying "Sympathy for the Devil" live version (Read 3440 times) previous topic - next topic

Help identifying "Sympathy for the Devil" live version

Hi all,

Can anyone identify which live version of Sympathy for the Devil this is and which album it's from:
Sympathy For The Devil Link (30 secs sample)

I thought it was Altamont but it's not, though sounds like it's from the same time, any ideas?
Any help much appreciated.
Thanks.

C.
PC = TAK + LossyWAV  ::  Portable = Opus (130)

Reply #1
I don't think I have that version, but I have 3 live versions, so maybe I can help with the process of elimination...  All 3 of my recordings start-out with prominent bongos like the studio version...  I'm not hearing that in your version, but maybe it's a different part of the recording...?

It might help to know the playing time of your version?

I have:
Rock & Roll Circus (1968) 8:27
Steel Wheels Tour (1990) 7:12
Bridges To Babylon Tour (1998) 8:27

Except for Rock And Roll Circus, mine were ripped/recorded from VHS or DVD, so the playing time might not exactly match other copies of the same recording.

Reply #2
I know that one. It's from "Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out! The Rolling Stones in Concert". Recorded in 1969, released in 1970.

Reply #3
EDIT: Just read Von's post - that would make sense re. the time - 1969. Will check it out -- thanks.

Thanks DVDdoug. I'm pretty sure it's none of those.
Playing time is 6:32 but I wouldn't take that too rigidly because it may well have been edited.
I've had it a long time and I think it was ripped from a flat-mate, but not sure. If that's true I may have edited it - fade ins and outs are there.

There's no bongos, it opens with solo rhythm guitar.
From the way the band plays it really sounds like the Altamont set-up (my suspicion is it's from the same tour).
But that makes me sound like much more of a Stones expert than I am.

Thanks for trying - perhaps it's not as easy as I thought it might be.

If anyone wants more samples let me know. I'd really like to get hold of the CD if it's available (best version of SFTD I've heard).

Thanks, 

C.

Reply #4
Yep, that's it. Many thanks Von! 

C.

Reply #5
Yup. Mick Taylor era Rolling Stones for sure.