Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: flac embedded cue-sheet and artist info. (Read 28889 times) previous topic - next topic

flac embedded cue-sheet and artist info.

Anyone have an idea if it is possible to save artist/album/song info in the embedded meta-tag-cue-sheet thingy in flac (1.1.0).

My cue-sheets are in the files (pops up songs in foobar so that should be ok) but no song info.

Dont know where to go to get the info in there.
Any ideas?

Regards /Nils

Reply #1
This is addressed in the FLAC FAQ.

Reply #2
Are you creating one big flac file of the whole CD (i.e. as opposed to a seperate flac file for each track from the CD)? If so, then embedding the CUE sheet in the file is useful since it sets up seek points for each track, etc.

But, unfortunately, it doesn't seem to embed the track names of each track. But, you can set the artist and album name for the whole file itself, although this would always be desirable either (i.e. if it was a "various artists" CD). But, regardless, you are still left with no way of specifying each track name.

If, on the other hand, you are creating a seperate flac file for each song, then I see no reason at all to embed the CUE sheet into the file.

The support for embedding CUE sheet info into the flac file (particularly when using one big flac file for the whole CD) does seem like a step in the right direction. But it also seemed like it would have been better if it was a little more flexible (i.e. have the ability to store titles and artists for each individual track).

However, in the FAQ on the flac site, they do address this issue and describe why it was done this way. They do raise some valid points (i.e. CUE sheet information is for "technical" information such as track offsets, etc. and the normal tag fields are for "user" information such as genre, year, album name, etc). Technically, this does seem like the "right" way of doing it. But, in this case, being there is still no easy way of storing the artists and track names for each individual track, I'm not so sure the the "right" way is really the "best" way in the "real world".

An alternative perhaps would be to store the track names and artists in the normal tags section using something like Track01Title=Blah Blah, Track01Artist=John Doe, etc. but, even this, seems pretty sloppy unless it became an agreed upon standard/specification that everyone would follow and would be supported by 3rd party apps, etc.

So, in short, I understand your frustration. But I also understand why it was done the way it was. Yet still, I do think that this issue should be addressed and there should be a better, standardized way of handling it, whether it be via tags or via the CUE sheet.

Reply #3
Mentioned in the FAQ:
Some players (for example Foobar2000) allow you to store the CDDB data as FLAC tags and can parse that.

This works fine for me. Check out the foo_freedb component. It will allow you to tag the file using FreeDB easily.

Reply #4
For creating one big file of the whole CD I use matroska
album.flac + album.flac.cue + cover.jpg -> album.mka
it works like a charm 

How to do it ?

Reply #5
Mentioned in the FAQ:
Some players (for example Foobar2000) allow you to store the CDDB data as FLAC tags and can parse that.

This works fine for me. Check out the foo_freedb component. It will allow you to tag the file using FreeDB easily.

Doesnt that make you wonder what foobar does to the flac file since flac doesnt support this?

Any ideas?

Reply #6
It just writes the tags externaly ... in a playlist file.
Indeed tags don't seem to be saved inside the flac file itself.

Reply #7
Latest version of foobar FLAC component can now save and use metadata info properly with one file albums. It will store cuesheet with metadata in vorbis comment block and converts CDDB style tags to this new format on load. And if your file doesn't have CDDB style tags just copy paste the contents of your whole .cue into 'cuesheet' tag and make foobar reload tags.

Reply #8
Latest version of foobar FLAC component can now save and use metadata info properly with one file albums. It will store cuesheet with metadata in vorbis comment block and converts CDDB style tags to this new format on load. And if your file doesn't have CDDB style tags just copy paste the contents of your whole .cue into 'cuesheet' tag and make foobar reload tags.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=224218"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Perfect! I'll check it out.

Thanks buddy!

Reply #9
Now, you can  directly do it from EAC, no more need to use Foobar!

Check this out!

Reply #10
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=224218"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I'm using foobar2000 v0.8.2 lite with the foo_flac.dll linked on this thread I edit & save a .CUE file created by EAC to the CUE sheet tag, foobar reports updated successfully but nothing is saved, not even on reload or reload info from files.

Reply #11
foobar2000

1 select all tracks from image in playlist
2 Context menu => "Properties"
3 Context menu on field "ARTIST" ("PERFORMER", etc.) => "Edit"
4 Tab "Individual Values"
5 Edit values
6 "OK"
7 "OK"
8 Done!

Reply #12
REACT does this fine, and so can you.

You just add the CUE to the FLAC:
--tag-from-file="cuesheet=@cuesheet@"
And viola! I've been doing this manually for a year now because it seemed simpler than using REACT. I was wrong.
OP can't edit initial post when a solution is determined  :'-(

Reply #13
REACT does this fine, and so can you.

You just add the CUE to the FLAC:
--tag-from-file="cuesheet=@cuesheet@"
And viola! I've been doing this manually for a year now because it seemed simpler than using REACT. I was wrong.

Are the CUEsheets stored in the 'cuesheet' field by Fb2k like the way REACT2 does?
If it does, then I am quite happy as this is almost becoming a standard for storing CUEsheets in a single-file FLAC image 

Reply #14
Are the CUEsheets stored in the 'cuesheet' field by Fb2k like the way REACT2 does?
I do not know. I used FB2K to store CUEs long before I started becoming curious about the tag scheme. You can use a tool like shntool to see what the tags are, IIRC.
OP can't edit initial post when a solution is determined  :'-(