Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Connecting passive speakers wirelessly (Read 2470 times) previous topic - next topic

Connecting passive speakers wirelessly

Hi, I just had a question from someone who wants to keep their existing gear, but needs to relocate it in a way that makes a normal wired speaker connection awkward. It is a 2-channel stereo set-up - no multichannel. I'm pretty sure his integrated amp has pre-out sockets - currently waiting for confirmation on that.

So I'm looking for recommendations for audio transmitter/receivers, plus amps at the receiving end. Even better if they are a combined receiver/amp unit per speaker. Or a stereo model that can sit between the two speakers.

Is there anyone with experience of these and can recommend a model currently available in the UK market?

Re: Connecting passive speakers wirelessly

Reply #1
So I'm looking for recommendations for audio transmitter/receivers, plus amps at the receiving end. Even better if they are a combined receiver/amp unit per speaker.
Since you have unlimited budget BeoCreate 4  ;)
This type (etc) should also be available in EU https://www.parts-express.com/lepai-lp40pa-40w-mini-plate-amplifier-bluetooth-aux-35mm-input-and-control-panel--310-4000 with tighter budget, would require a Bluetooth transmitter connected to pre outs. Lots of those.

Or a stereo model that can sit between the two speakers.
About a zillion bluetooth receiver/transmitters + 2ch amp out there. Unfortunately, no way to predict how well they would work without interference etc. I've used a NAD version flawlessly, generic ebay/Amazon ones not so much.

cheers,

AJ

Loudspeaker manufacturer

Reply #2
You can make a wireless connection between the existing integrated amp and another amp using Bluetooth.
This means AD conversion, lossy compression (high bit rate mp3 style) and DA again.
Range often limited to 10m but there are more powerful transmitters.

There are wireless transmitters not using Bluetooth.
I have no experience with them: https://www.thewelltemperedcomputer.com/HW/Connect/Wireless_connect.htm

WiSA is the trick to connect an amp and speakers wireless (24 bit / 96 kHz lossless max) but all the gear has to be replaced: https://www.buchardtaudio.com/products/stereo-hub

As you have to buy hardware anyway to power the speakers, maybe go multi-room.
You can stream over the WiFi , in general more stable and allowing for lossless audio.
Even more stable over UTP cabling if that is an option.
Maybe Sonos Port + AMP is a solution (or HEOS/BlueOS, etc)
TheWellTemperedComputer.com

Reply #3
Search eBay for "Audioengine D2"; for some reason, no longer made.  The lesser but current W3 looks like it would also work.

You'll need an amp at the speaker end.  I'd suggest getting one with adjustable gain so you are protected when the day comes that you inadvertently send a full volume signal to your speakers.

Reply #4
Search eBay for "Audioengine D2"
I have a few, use for all computer sourced demos. No analog ins, just usb/optical
Loudspeaker manufacturer

Reply #5
Many thanks to all for your ideas and recommendations. I'll pass them on, but he may be scared off by the more technical stuff.