Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: VCD Audio -> mp3/aac (Read 3936 times) previous topic - next topic

VCD Audio -> mp3/aac

If i was to strip a vcd of its audio & encode it to either mp3 or aac for playback on my ipod, what would be the opitmal bitrate or encoding settings i guess.

I believe vcd audio is not cd quality and thus maybe mp3 -aps would be over kill ... as would faac q-150.

Just want some opinions so i dont have to transcode mulitple times.

thanks

VCD Audio -> mp3/aac

Reply #1
VCD audio is MP2 @ 224kbps. I wouldn't bother transcoding to MP3 at any higher than 160kbps.

VCD Audio -> mp3/aac

Reply #2
VCD audio is MP2 @ 224kbps. I wouldn't bother transcoding to MP3 at any higher than 160kbps.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=323407"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

hmm so CBR would work? if you say about 160 ... then -alt preset medium or -q125 might work then correct?

thanks!

VCD Audio -> mp3/aac

Reply #3
Try --alt-preset standard. I'm pretty confident that it will use a bitrate under 200.

VCD Audio -> mp3/aac

Reply #4
At least a lot of software MP3 decoders can decode MP2 as well, maybe its worth a try to see if the ipod can play the MP2 file directly?

VCD Audio -> mp3/aac

Reply #5
would i need to reencode the 48Khz to 44.1KHz?

vcd audio is 48 i believe ...

VCD Audio -> mp3/aac

Reply #6
would i need to reencode the 48Khz to 44.1KHz?

vcd audio is 48 i believe ...
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=323920"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

vcd audio is 44.1khz. By my experience, encoding vcd audio track into MP3 at 128kbps is more than enough.

VCD Audio -> mp3/aac

Reply #7
yeah ... nm
vcd audio is mpeg2 @ 224 44.1Khz

ill just do q-100 aac for my purposes (ipod listening)

Thanks!