Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: dbpoweramp & flac (Read 3147 times) previous topic - next topic

dbpoweramp & flac

This is such a noob question I hate to ask it but I couldn't find an answer.

Before I knew much about this (and I still don't) I used dbpoweramp to encode all my cd's to flac. I am concerned about the quality and wanted to know if there would be any difference if I encoded them using EAC or FlacFrontend?

Thanks

dbpoweramp & flac

Reply #1
Did you use AccurateRip? If you didn't, or some of the CDs were not present in the AR database, it's possible slight read errors could have occurred which EAC would have corrected. Assuming dBPowerAmp gets a perfect rip the output will be identical to EAC due to the fact they are both encoding to a lossless format (and neither of the implementations have any bugs which cause differences in encoded data). There could be very slight file size differences but the audio data should be identical.

In short, differences could occur in the ripping process but not in the encoding one.

dbpoweramp & flac

Reply #2
Did you use AccurateRip? If you didn't, or some of the CDs were not present in the AR database, it's possible slight read errors could have occurred which EAC would have corrected. Assuming dBPowerAmp gets a perfect rip the output will be identical to EAC due to the fact they are both encoding to a lossless format (and neither of the implementations have any bugs which cause differences in encoded data). There could be very slight file size differences but the audio data should be identical.

In short, differences could occur in the ripping process but not in the encoding one.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=341986"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I used dbpoweramps audio cd input program to rip and encode the flac files. Is AccurateRip a program that runs in EAC?

The big question here is should I setup EAC and rerip all my cd's to flac?

Thanks

dbpoweramp & flac

Reply #3
Make sure you are using dBpowerAMP R11.5 as it comes with AccurateRip as standard, on the options page presented after install enable accuraterip. You cannot get a higher quality if a CD is reported as being Accurate by AccurateRip.

dbpoweramp & flac

Reply #4
AccurateRip will run in either EAC or dbPowerAMP.  AccurateRip tells you if you obtained the same results as others ripping the same disc. 

Like Defsac said, the differences could occur during the actual rip.  EAC can be set to use a "secure" mode, which will help ensure that there are no errors.  The rip may occur slower than the one in dbPowerAMP, but dbPowerAMP doesn't re-read on errors.  (Please correct me if I am wrong spoon--didn't see your post until after I posted)

If it were me, I would probably re-rip the CDs, but I won't tell you that you should do that.  I think it comes down to whether you feel you can trust those files to be error free.