Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: EAC CUETools DB Plugin found many differences (Read 2970 times) previous topic - next topic

EAC CUETools DB Plugin found many differences

Most of my CD Rips have been fairly straight forward with mostly accurate rips. However one CD in particular (Escapology - Robbie Williams) is just a confusing mess. Here are the results:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Any idea what's going on here? Is it just an album with too many variations to be able to confirm accuracy? Looking around on the forums suggests that my rip is accurate because even 4/2126 is good enough confirmation.

Re: EAC CUETools DB Plugin found many differences

Reply #1
Where's the rest of the log?
Only tracks 1, 2, 3, & 5 say they're "Accurately ripped".
korth

Reply #2
Here's the full log.

Reply #3
Interesting CD.
https://musicbrainz.org/release-group/190374ef-a254-32d0-a6dd-9821beac79cf
https://www.discogs.com/master/view/32395
There are versions of this CD that show having Copy Control protection.

http://db.cuetools.net/top.php?tocid=6nQxbzvmVAp92xSLxJcPGRzcmXo-
XML
There are "a lot" of confidence 1 rips for this CD with 100% quality.
korth

Reply #4
What does this mean for my CD? Do I need to try and get hold of one with no copy protection or just stick with what I have?

Reply #5
What do your ears tell you?
korth

Reply #6
What does this mean for my CD?
It means that you bought some junk with that intentionally destroyed error handling that they tried to scam consumers by 2002, but you probably knew that already? As you can see, it was not a very efficient means at preventing ripping.

Usually, you wouldn't hear much difference until it would be destroyed enough to start skipping (and that could happen way earlier, absent proper error handling). You can either just give it a listen and decide to do nothing, or if it actually is annoying and/or you are stubborn: Try a CUETools repair.

A repair might not not necessarily work, and if it does: do not abort just because CUETools seems like taking forever to check. I have two of these s**tty fake-CDs, they have four hundred CUETools submissions each, and although CUETools could "repair" both - fixing 151 or 210 samples over most of the tracks - only one would make an AccurateRip hit.
And the differences aren't big. Like, a track with a "big" repair had 12 samples with difference peaking at twentysomething dB below full scale.

Do I need to try and get hold of one with no copy protection or just stick with what I have?
Stick to it unless it both sounds bad and you cannot repair it. Whatever you do, do not rewarding EMI for selling you a scam by buying another one.

Reply #7
Well the CD was bought new about 6 months ago and was ripped once and shoved on a shelf. I assume the rips should all be accurate then as long as the copy protection didn't interfere with anything. Thanks for the help guys.

Reply #9
At least I know what to look out for now though. From the tracks I've listened to so far they seem fine. I tried verifying the album in CUETools and got a lot of no matches which is understandable. I think I'm just going to leave it for now.