Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Previewing Songs (Two Sound Outputs) (Read 2612 times) previous topic - next topic

Previewing Songs (Two Sound Outputs)

I was wondering if there was any ability (probably via a plugin), to have the ability to preview a song, while another song is still playing.

Ideally it would work like so:
- Song is being played and outputted to one sound option
- Ability to preview sent to another sound output

This is so that I can preview audio before it goes live. Is this possible, or does anyone know of any workarounds they have for doing such things?

Reply #1
it really looks like you want some dedicated "DJ" software.

i'm pretty sure you cannot do this with foobar/extra components.

Reply #2
to have the ability to preview a song, while another song is still playing.

This is not possible.

However you can use a second, portable installation of foobar2000 at the same time to preview the songs, and then drag & drop those tracks that are suitable for beeing presented to your audience, onto your main installation.

Preview (foo_preview) provides the possibility to automate the preview procedure to some extent.
This is HA. Not the Jerry Springer Show.

Reply #3
Robertina beat me to the recommendation of foo_preview and separate portable installations with differing outputs and different versions of the same tracks.

thinking aloud, I wonder, could one not then configure the two installations to use different global hotkeys, thus creating the ability to stop a favoured preview in one instance and simultaneously start the corresponding full version in the other?

Reply #4
different versions of the same tracks.

The OP could use the same playlist for both installations. When he has arrived at the decision what songs are good enough for going live, he could just queue them in his live playlist for being played afterwards.

Reply #5
I have no idea why I mentioned different versions! Of course, you are perfectly correct that the only differences necessary would be the chains of DSPs Preferences, one with foo_preview and the other without.

Reply #6
it really looks like you want some dedicated "DJ" software.

i'm pretty sure you cannot do this with foobar/extra components.

I do have some dedicated DJ software, though I prefer using the less Foobar as it is much more lightweight. My laptop will be going for literally a whole night, and using bloated DJ software for that long will lead to my computer getting pretty hot and starting to get microfreezes (freezes audio for a second or two).

to have the ability to preview a song, while another song is still playing.

This is not possible.

However you can use a second, portable installation of foobar2000 at the same time to preview the songs, and then drag & drop those tracks that are suitable for beeing presented to your audience, onto your main installation.

Preview (foo_preview) provides the possibility to automate the preview procedure to some extent.

The page does not give much info on what this component actually does to help. Could you give some more info on how it automates this process?

different versions of the same tracks.

The OP could use the same playlist for both installations. When he has arrived at the decision what songs are good enough for going live, he could just queue them in his live playlist for being played afterwards.

I like this idea.

Now, do I need to have one portable edition and one main one, or is it possible to open Foobar twice from the main installation?

Reply #7
The page does not give much info on what this component actually does to help. Could you give some more info on how it automates this process?

It adds a new entry to Preferences > Playback, where you can configure three options:
  • Start from
  • Length
  • Stream length
Whether these features fit your needs you have to try out yourself.

do I need to have one portable edition and one main one, or is it possible to open Foobar twice from the main installation?

The latter isn't possible. An installation cannot run twice at the same time, but you can have and open as many portable versions as you want at the same time.

Additionally, you should use two different output devices: one for previewing "privately", the other for outputting to your audience.

Reply #8
I added the component, but how do I actually "preview" a song using it?

Reply #9
Go to the Playback menu and activate the option "Preview mode" there.

Reply #10
configuration is in preferences>playback>preview.

in your foobar 2000 main window>Playback>tick preview mode

in general terms, right clicking to access context menu or Shift right click to access a larger context menu;
or poking about the options available via the main menu or Shift main menu will expose just about all functionality.

Reply #11
configuration is in preferences>playback>preview.

in your foobar 2000 main window>Playback>tick preview mode

in general terms, right clicking to access context menu or Shift right click to access a larger context menu;
or poking about the options available via the main menu or Shift main menu will expose just about all functionality.

Thanks those tips are quite helpful!

Re: Previewing Songs (Two Sound Outputs)

Reply #12
Similar way but enhanced features and ease of configuration for Android  is devised with Automate App. The configuration file can be searched at community of llamalab or by googling with key words Preview of Music Tracks xda foo